""Fanta Se"" Top 5 Page for this destination Santa Fe by toonsarah

Santa Fe Travel Guide: 688 reviews and 1,383 photos

New Mexico Museum of Art

Santa Fe has sometimes been nicknamed “Fanta Se”, and it’s not hard to see why. The city lives for its art.

And I am not referring only to the thousands of people here who are engaged in the arts in some way or another – running a gallery, creating paintings or photos or sculptures, writing or performing etc.

No – the city itself seems to have a sense of itself as a work of art. Local regulations control very strictly the appearance of all buildings in the downtown area, around the Plaza – if it isn’t adobe, it had better at least pretend to be!

But if that sounds critical, it isn’t really intended to be. We loved pretty much everything about our stay in Santa Fe; our cosy casita in Chapelle Street, and the delicious meals in its restaurants; its historic churches, and the ultra-modern art in some of its galleries; margaritas at sunset, and late night Jack Daniels in a friendly bar; exploring the heart of the city, and the wonderful scenery on its doorstep.

We stayed just four nights – long enough to get to know the historic area around the Plaza, visit just a couple of museums and the most important churches, soak up some atmosphere and spend a day exploring the part of Bandelier National Monument and the red rock scenery around Abiquiu. A week would not be too long if you wanted to see everything, while a day would at least allow you to see the most important sights. But our four days was just right, and at the end we were happy to move on to our next destination, Taos.

~~~

Because this is a longer page, I have borrowed an idea from Don (aka Nemorino), and have linked my tips in a suggested order of reading. So you can if you wish start here for my first tip, our accommodation in the cute casita, and then read on by following the link at the end of each tip.

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my little Española page

• In a nutshell:Both artistic and artful
  • Last visit to Santa Fe: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I enjoyed your well done Santa Fe page! I always interested in restaurants people go back to, or locals frequent. More people should put warnings on restaurants that did not meet expectations! Great things to do, we should really explore New Mexico more. Thanks!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Excellent page, Sarah! I have yet to visit New Mexico but, along with Texas are the 2 states highest on my priority list. I really enjoy your details descriptions of the places you visited and together with the photos, your page is itself a "work of art!"

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Of all the tips I read, yours are the most detailed/fantastic so I know what is what, and where. The pictures are nice also. This is my next planned us trip, maybe in fall

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Sarah, another outstanding page of your adventures in New Mexico. I didn't know that Santa Fe is full of art. The Railyard would definitely be my kind of thing.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Beautiful photos and thoughtful texts about Santa Fe! I never knew there were any Native American saints. Glad to hear they have reactivated the station and revived the surrounding neighbourhood. I’ve read about the Rail Runner on one of the public transport websites.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2011 at 1:06 AM

Sounds very nice to visit many art galleries and to sip on Margaritas at sunset! The staircase in Loretto Chapel looks beautiful, and the history about it was interesting to read.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Santa Fe looks very appealing to me as it is so diverse. I like those colourful shutters in the courtyard! Excellent page :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Sounds like you had a good time here!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Wow, what a splendid idea to link each tip (and not only the ones per category). That makes reading absolutely easy! Including your link back to the intro page!
    Haha, it took me ages until I understood the nickname Fanta Se, I had to read it loud to get the meaning :-) Fantastic city Santa Fe is, and real adobe or not, the houses look fabulous! Marvellous artwork and I understand why you liked the Karan Ruhlen Gallery :-) The main photo is of a similar style I saw in our hospital this week! Love your little casita and especially the cow pattern tea kettle :-) And Leo and his trading post, so cute! Your restaurant tips make me hungry ... oh yes, how much do I miss New Mexican food! The window shutters of Burro Alley Café look fantastic!

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Hi Sarah
    Interesting page about a part of the world that I am not familiar with at all - I enjoyed the 'virtual tour'!
    Regards
    Cathy

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Santa Fe

Have you been to Santa Fe?

Latest Activity in Santa Fe