"The truth is out there" Top 5 Page for this destination Roswell by toonsarah
Roswell Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 169 photos
In June 1947 a local man found some odd-looking debris on a ranch some 30 miles north of the town. Many of those who believe in UFOs are convinced that he had found a crashed spaceship, complete with its alien pilot who died in the crash. Sceptics are equally convinced that it was no such thing. But whatever the truth of the matter, one thing is certain – today, Roswell is a town obsessed.
You cannot spend time in Roswell today without encountering a large number of aliens – they are everywhere! In shop window displays, on lamp-posts – the local McDonalds even provides parking for them ;-) Depending on your viewpoint this is either an endearing example of American kitsch at its best, or a desperate attempt to attract visitors to a town that would otherwise be well off the beaten tourist trail. We fell firmly into the former group, as anyone who has read my other US pages might have guessed. Thus we spent several happy hours poring over the exhibits in the town’s UFO museum, and more time on its streets, photographing our own “alien encounters”.
If you do want to get away from all those extra-terrestrials, there are a few other sights of note – an attractive plaza (although retaining much less of its early history than that of many other New Mexican towns) and a couple of good art museums, which we unfortunately ran out of time to visit.
Please start your visit to Roswell with my accommodation tip.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit Lincoln with me.
- In a nutshell:It's unique - totally over the top and kitsch, but somehow rather likeable!
There seems to be no accommodation right in the centre of Roswell but we found this Days Inn to be in a good location... more travel advice
If you want a break from photographing the aliens, the central Pioneer Plaza is a pleasant place to hang out for a... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Roswell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Jumping Around Roswell! The Aliens Have Landed!"
- "The truth is out there"
- "Out of This World Town?"
- "Aliens came for a reason."
- "Roswell, NM--My Home Town"
- "Roswell, New Mexico - a.k.a. Crash town, Alientown"
- "Roswell New Mexico"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roswell
- Hotels in Roswell
- Nightlife in Roswell
- Restaurants in Roswell
- Shopping in Roswell
- Warnings and Dangers in Roswell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roswell
- 5 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Roswell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roswell
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos