"The truth is out there" Top 5 Page for this destination Roswell by toonsarah

Roswell Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 169 photos

Lamp post in Roswell

Roswell would be a totally unremarkable town were it not for a single event – an event that quite possibly didn’t even happen.

In June 1947 a local man found some odd-looking debris on a ranch some 30 miles north of the town. Many of those who believe in UFOs are convinced that he had found a crashed spaceship, complete with its alien pilot who died in the crash. Sceptics are equally convinced that it was no such thing. But whatever the truth of the matter, one thing is certain – today, Roswell is a town obsessed.

You cannot spend time in Roswell today without encountering a large number of aliens – they are everywhere! In shop window displays, on lamp-posts – the local McDonalds even provides parking for them ;-) Depending on your viewpoint this is either an endearing example of American kitsch at its best, or a desperate attempt to attract visitors to a town that would otherwise be well off the beaten tourist trail. We fell firmly into the former group, as anyone who has read my other US pages might have guessed. Thus we spent several happy hours poring over the exhibits in the town’s UFO museum, and more time on its streets, photographing our own “alien encounters”.

If you do want to get away from all those extra-terrestrials, there are a few other sights of note – an attractive plaza (although retaining much less of its early history than that of many other New Mexican towns) and a couple of good art museums, which we unfortunately ran out of time to visit.

Please start your visit to Roswell with my accommodation tip.

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit Lincoln with me.

• In a nutshell:It's unique - totally over the top and kitsch, but somehow rather likeable!
  • Last visit to Roswell: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2012

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2012 at 8:52 AM

This town certainly seems to be very entertaining. No churches for a change ;-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Would be interesting to see the UFO museum, and to read about what people think. I really think the sculpture is beautiful, a nice break from an Alien!!!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Good that you managed to cross the road from your motel to the pub without getting run over. I take it there is no pedestrian crosswalk. This is the sort of thing that used to infuriate me when I lived in the US, which is why I now support the Complete Streets movement.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Oh my god... how cute and funny!! Love the flying saucer shaped McD and the parking, the lampoost and this cute little inflatable green alien :-) But... the one who was submitted to autopsy is not green :-) So I am wondering where the green colour comes from. Too much vegetable diet?

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Very nice Rosewell Page. It is an interesting town.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Roswell

Have you been to Roswell?

Latest Activity in Roswell