"For pies and more" Pie Town by toonsarah

Pie Town Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 15 photos

Any town named after food has to be worth a visit, yes? And while getting to Pie Town involves a long drive across empty plains, for us the effort was well rewarded.

The town really is named after the humble pie! It got its name in the 1920s when an entrepreneur got the idea of opening a restaurant and serving pies to homesteaders and to early cross-country motorists. But the coming of the interstate (I40 cuts across the state a little to the north of here) meant that the traffic dried up and the pie market collapsed.

It was only revived in 1994 when a disappointed visitor to the town took matters into their own hands and opened the Pie-O-Neer Café. Luckily for us (as this is only open on weekdays and we were here on a Sunday), a second pie-selling establishment followed, the Pie Town Café. Today pies are firmly back on the menu in Pie Town, and there is even an annual Pie Festival.

In truth, calling Pie Town a town is a bit of a misnomer. It has just 45 inhabitants and a handful of other buildings in addition to the two cafés. But it’s a quirky, photogenic spot, just the sort of place that epitomises back-roads Americana.

No one else has yet written about this place on Virtual Tourist, so I’m hoping that I can put it on the map and encourage you too to stop by for a slice of pie!

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my El Malpais page.

• Last visit to Pie Town: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Great page - whilst I couldn't stop by the reality, I could stop by your page! Gillybob greetings

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Hi Gilly, and thanks for stopping by "virtually"! You're right, you would definitely need a car to get here I reckon!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Somethings missing in Sri Lanka a good old pie - I enjoyed the read

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Fabulous choice of pies!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

enjoyable small page about a delightful town. Cleverly presented, Sarah.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Hi Sarah, thanks for posting VT’s first and only Pie Town page. This really does look like a quirky little place.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Sarah, lovely little page about this gem. I agree, Pie Town seems to be a very photogenic spot. Now it is even covered on the VT map. Well done.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2011 at 8:06 AM

How funny to visit a pie town!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Even I couldn't resist coming back from pie, Sarah but was surprised to see in a city named Pie they didn't stuff your breakie into a pie as well! lol Like your idea of pinching Don's tip linking. His relatively big page was easier to read than your wee one. I just may come out of retirement after the holidays. ;) We got our tree and decorated it while drinking our first Glühwein of the season yesterday evening. Magic.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2011 at 7:10 PM

Yay for Pie Town and the quirky! These are the best places. Love the old coca cola sigh and rustic car. Quemado looks very charming. Neat page!

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Ha ha, I have the same question as Trekki, where is the cherry pie photo? I couldn't pass up Pietown, unlike snakes, pie agrees with me enormously :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Pie Town

Have you been to Pie Town?

Latest Activity in Pie Town