"For pies and more" Pie Town by toonsarah
Pie Town Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 15 photos
The town really is named after the humble pie! It got its name in the 1920s when an entrepreneur got the idea of opening a restaurant and serving pies to homesteaders and to early cross-country motorists. But the coming of the interstate (I40 cuts across the state a little to the north of here) meant that the traffic dried up and the pie market collapsed.
It was only revived in 1994 when a disappointed visitor to the town took matters into their own hands and opened the Pie-O-Neer Café. Luckily for us (as this is only open on weekdays and we were here on a Sunday), a second pie-selling establishment followed, the Pie Town Café. Today pies are firmly back on the menu in Pie Town, and there is even an annual Pie Festival.
In truth, calling Pie Town a town is a bit of a misnomer. It has just 45 inhabitants and a handful of other buildings in addition to the two cafés. But it’s a quirky, photogenic spot, just the sort of place that epitomises back-roads Americana.
No one else has yet written about this place on Virtual Tourist, so I’m hoping that I can put it on the map and encourage you too to stop by for a slice of pie!
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my El Malpais page.
If you have made the drive out to Pie Town from Socorro, stopping at the VLA, you will probably be here in time for... more travel advice
We couldn’t come to Pie Town and not eat pie! One of the options, the cornily-named Pie-O-Neer Café, is closed at... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Pie Town Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pie Town
- 4 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Pie Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pie Town
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos