"Our last few hours in New Mexico ..." Mesilla by toonsarah
Mesilla Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 63 photos
Of all the southern New Mexico towns we visited, it was the one that came closest to the historical identity of more northern Santa Fe and Taos, albeit much smaller. It made a lovely base for our last few hours in the state.
Mesilla was founded in the mid 19th century and for a part of its history lay in a sort of no man’s land between Mexico and the United States. But in 1854 the Gadsden Purchase declared the town officially part of the United States. As Mesilla was the most important community in this parcel, the treaty was consummated by the raising of the American flag on the town plaza on November 16, 1854.
With increased stability came increased trade, and Mesilla found itself in a prime location on the cross-roads of two stagecoach routes. But the town chose not to have the railroad routed through the community, so it went “next-door” to Las Cruces instead. The result was major growth for that city, while Mesilla remained small and retained much of its charm and character.
Today Mesilla is a little pocket of colonial Spain on the outskirts of more modern Las Cruces. There are only a few “sights” (an attractive church, a small museum). Rather, it is a place to wander around and seek the serendipity of a pretty building here, an interesting shop there ...
There are also a number of good restaurants in the historical buildings in and around the Plaza, which made it the perfect place for our final New Mexican meal – and New Mexican margarita!
Please start your visit to Mesilla with my accommodation tip.
We had hoped to be able to stay in one of the few bed and breakfast places in the heart of old Mesilla, but one was... more travel advice
Strolling the streets around the Plaza is the number one activity here. Many of the adobe buildings built during the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Mesilla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our last few hours in New Mexico ..."
- "Basaic Mesilla Page"
- "Mesilla, New Mexico"
- "Transit stop in the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mesilla
- Hotels in Mesilla
- Nightlife in Mesilla
- Restaurants in Mesilla
- Shopping in Mesilla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mesilla
- 7 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Mesilla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mesilla
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Learning the Lingo."
- updated a Mesilla Travel Page "Our last few hours in New Mexico ..."
- toonsarah created a new itinerary Road trip in New Mexico.
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our last few hours in New Mexico ..."
- Wrote a Review Reasonable choice – but not as... in Mesilla Hotels
- Commented on one of Basaic's Mesilla travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue