"On the Turquoise Trail" Top 5 Page for this destination Madrid by toonsarah
Madrid Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 66 photos
Nearly every one of the old houses lining the town?s main street seems to be a gallery, and the few that aren?t are restaurants. We spent a very pleasant few hours here, dipping in and out of the shops, enjoying a pleasant lunch (and a great coffee), and taking lots of photos.
Madrid (pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, MAD-rid) was once a coal-mining town and was founded in 1869. In its heyday the town supplied coal for the Santa Fe Railroad, local customers and even the US Government. But when coal use declined the town fell silent and became a ghost town. In the early 1970's, artists and craftspeople began to discover it, converting the old company stores and houses into shops and galleries. Today it is the main destination on the scenic byway known as the Turquoise Trail.
Anyone driving between Albuquerque has a choice of three possible routes. The quickest is the Interstate (I25), and the slowest the long loop via Jemez and Los Alamos on Highways 550 and 4, but we chose this pretty scenic byway, the Turquoise Trail. Named for the former turquoise mines in the region, this road (Highway 14) takes you through a series of one-time boom mining towns which, with the exception of Madrid, are for the most part now very small and sleepy.
Other stops along the way are sleepy Los Cerrillos, with its ramshackle bar and ?antique? shop and attractive church, and somnolent Golden.
So to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my Los Cerrillos page
Los Cerrillos (usually shortened to simply Cerrillos) is the place that gave the Turquoise Trail its name, but in the... more travel advice
Madrid (pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, MAD-rid, unlike its Spanish namesake) was a coal-mining town,... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Madrid Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Artist Colony on the Turquoise Trail"
- "On the Turquoise Trail"
- "A place to play along the Turquoise Trail"
- "Along the Turquoise Trail"
- "Madrid and Cerillos, NM"
- "Madrid, Careful How you Say It...."
- "MADRID, NEW MEXICO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madrid
- Hotels in Madrid
- Transportation in Madrid
- Restaurants in Madrid
- Shopping in Madrid
- Warnings and Dangers in Madrid
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madrid
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (239)
Have you been to Madrid?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madrid
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue