"The town that started a war" Lincoln by toonsarah
Lincoln Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 34 photos
The war started when Henry Tunstall and Alexander McSween opened a store in Lincoln, setting themselves up in competition with existing store owners Lawrence Murphy and J. J. Dolan. The latter had had a monopoly on selling goods not just in the town but also supplying beef to nearby Ft. Stanton and the Mescalero Indian Reservation.
And the war ended (more or less – skirmishes went on for years) with a three day battle on the streets of Lincoln; something hard to imagine now in this quiet backwater.
Today Lincoln is a pretty sleepy place, although I imagine it gets busy with visitors at the height of the season. The whole town is operated, unusually, as a state monument. Its one street is lined with historic homes and buildings – some museums, others still private homes. There are no gas stations or convenience stores here, and only one public telephone.
Among other sights, you can visit the Lincoln County Courthouse, from which Billy the Kid famously escaped while awaiting execution, and the Tunstall Store, set up much as it must have looked when it first opened and triggered the war.
There are also a number of interesting shops to poke around in, and a small hotel has rooms if you want to stay over, and a restaurant serving lunch (and dinner to overnight guests). You can easily spend several hours exploring here, and the combination of museum-piece and lived-in town is an appealing one.
Please start your visit to Lincoln with my first tip, on the Visitor Centre.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit Alamogordo with me.
- In a nutshell:Great for history buffs and fans of the Wild West
When you first arrive in Lincoln you will need to pay the $5.00 admission fee, which includes entry to the four... more travel advice
This Roman Catholic church (full name La Iglesia de San Juan Bautista, or Church of John the Baptist) was built in 1887... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Lincoln Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The town that started a war"
- "LINCOLN - New Mexico"
- "Basaic Lincoln Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lincoln
- 8 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Lincoln?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lincoln
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos