"No, not that one!" Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas by toonsarah

Las Vegas Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 71 photos

Bridge Street, Las Vegas

Yes, there is another Las Vegas, and it is here in New Mexico. And what a contrast to its glitzy namesake it is!

This Las Vegas is an appealing mix of slightly down-at-heel with trying-hard-to-revive. We loved the photogenic old buildings of the Historic Bridge Street District, and the sleepy Plaza. We also loved our stay at the grand old Plaza Hotel, and our evening in its Byron T’s Saloon, where the locals were among the friendliest people we met in ever-friendly New Mexico!

Further afield we visited Fort Union, one of the most important sites on the Santa Fe Trail. But it was Las Vegas itself that really appealed to us, despite its lack of obvious big attractions and its low profile among visitors to the state. How very different indeed to that other Las Vegas!

If you’d like to read my tips in order, please start with my accommodation tip, the historic Plaza Hotel.

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Santa Rosa with me.

• In a nutshell:Not the most obvious New Mexico destination but one well worth seeking out
  • Last visit to Las Vegas: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2012

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Another informative page Sarah, but I thought I was going to "Gambling Las Vegas". Good to read you are interested in Rugby, how does that mix with your Newcastle United team?

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Another interesting page! I didn't know there was another Las Vegas, I wonder how many people do. What a huge meal, and what good value!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Fine photos and tips about this nice town with its "appealing mix of slightly down-at-heel with trying-hard-to-revive" – that’s a great description!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

So there is more than one "The Plains" exisiting in US :-) What a cute town and what an interesting accommodation you had there.
    Oh my.... and you meals reminded me how much I actually miss to have a good blue cheese dressing.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Las Vegas

Have you been to Las Vegas?

Latest Activity in Las Vegas