"The (really rather lovely) Badlands" Grants by toonsarah
Grants Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 37 photos
We used it as a base for our visit to nearby El Malpais National Monument, but as El Malpais doesn’t have a location page on VT, here we are! We did find good accommodation here, in the Best Western, and a surprisingly good meal in its restaurant, but apart from the motel strip we didn’t really explore the town, which on a quick late Sunday afternoon drive through, seemed very quiet with its few restaurants and shops closed.
El Malpais is Spanish for Badlands, and you can see how the area got this name, as much of it is formed from the outpourings of lava from McCartys Volcano. It is bleak in a way, but also ruggedly beautiful, and the view from Sandstone Bluffs is one that will stay with me for a long while.
The National Monument is divided into two sections, of which we only visited one – the one alongside Highway 117 more or less due south of Grants (the other lies to the west and is accessed via Highway 53). We were only there for an afternoon but that was long enough to do a couple of short walks and to drive up to the Sandstone Bluffs to see that awesome vista.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my Acoma Pueblo page
- Pros:A convenient base for El Malpais, El Morro & Acoma
- Cons:Not much to see or do in the town itself
Acoma certainly merits a page of its own but as many people use Grants as a base for a visit to “Sky City”, I am also... more travel advice
We hadn’t pre-booked accommodation in Grants and originally intended to look for something near the centre to take... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Grants Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The (really rather lovely) Badlands"
- "Irisrainbow's new Grants Page"
- "Passing through Grants"
- "Basaic Grants Page"
- "The Bad Place that is Good"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grants
- Hotels in Grants
- Restaurants in Grants
- Warnings and Dangers in Grants
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grants
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Grants?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grants
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos