"An encounter with Leo" Espanola by toonsarah

Espanola Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 19 photos

The Chimayó Trading Post

To step inside the Chimayó Trading Post is to feel yourself transported back around a hundred years, when the pace of life was slower and nothing was ever thrown away, because it might just come in handy one day.

And it seemed to me that many of those un-thrown away items have found their way here, to Española.

The location of the Trading Post, marooned on a small triangle of land surrounded by busy roads, is somehow apt, because the place itself feels like a perfect slice of history marooned in the 21st century. As for Española itself, it is an unprepossessing town a few miles north of Santa Fe, but well worth a visit if only for this one single sight.

And if you’re wondering why a trading post in Española should be named for a neighbouring town, well apparently the building was originally built in nearby Chimayó in 1926, but was moved to this location in the 1930s. Behind the store is the Trujillo House, dating from around the same time. Both it and the store have been in the Trujillo family ever since, as we were to find out when we met Leo Trujillo inside. And as you will read, he is quite a character!

Please start your mini tour, as we did, with a visit to the Trading Post itself.

And later, to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my Bandelier National Monument page.

• In a nutshell:"This place is going to be in a book, you know" (Leo Trujillo)
  • Last visit to Espanola: Sep 2011
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I looked at the photo of Leo, and could just imagine him enjoying telling you about all the things for sale. I bet he loves people coming in to see him from all over the world! He looks quite a character!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I love places like these, because you never know what you may find. Nice page!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2012 at 8:13 AM

What a cute souvenir!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Hello, Sarah! Thanks for your virtual mini tour of Espanola!~ I enjoy visiting such unique places too ...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM

A lovely little page! I'm glad you bought something from Leo.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2011 at 8:30 AM

[Splendid, the links! Makes it so easy!] This is surely one of the most touching pages of your trip. Leo is exceptional! I can feel that I was there, with you, so marvellous you are describing the trading post! Haha, but the fairground horse is beautiful, isn't it? I would have had interest in the colourful cross maybe :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Espanola

Have you been to Espanola?

Latest Activity in Espanola