"An encounter with Leo" Espanola by toonsarah
Espanola Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 19 photos
And it seemed to me that many of those un-thrown away items have found their way here, to Española.
The location of the Trading Post, marooned on a small triangle of land surrounded by busy roads, is somehow apt, because the place itself feels like a perfect slice of history marooned in the 21st century. As for Española itself, it is an unprepossessing town a few miles north of Santa Fe, but well worth a visit if only for this one single sight.
And if you’re wondering why a trading post in Española should be named for a neighbouring town, well apparently the building was originally built in nearby Chimayó in 1926, but was moved to this location in the 1930s. Behind the store is the Trujillo House, dating from around the same time. Both it and the store have been in the Trujillo family ever since, as we were to find out when we met Leo Trujillo inside. And as you will read, he is quite a character!
Please start your mini tour, as we did, with a visit to the Trading Post itself.
And later, to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my Bandelier National Monument page.
- In a nutshell:"This place is going to be in a book, you know" (Leo Trujillo)
We parked our car next to the Chimayó Trading Post – the only car in what was quite a large lot. After taking a few... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Espanola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An encounter with Leo"
- "Espanola, New Mexico"
- "DanNNMDV Espanola Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Espanola
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Espanola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Espanola
Photos in EspanolaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 316 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos