"Where the West was wild" Cimarron by toonsarah

Cimarron Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos

Building detail, Cimarron

To be honest, there’s not an awful lot to see in Cimarron, but what there is seemed to us well worth the drive a little off the usual tourist routes in New Mexico.

This north east corner of the state has none of the big draws – no arty Santa Fe or Taos, no Indian Pueblos, no striking Spanish colonial architecture. But it does have wide open skies and a spirit evocative of the Wild West days that here seem like only yesterday.

And in Cimarron you will find a true Wild West gem, the St James Hotel. We spent a night here (very affordable, considering its unique character) and for that alone, were glad we had come to Cimarron.

Even if you don’t stay here, a drink in its atmospheric bar is a must – a bar whose ceiling still clearly shows the bullet holes from the numerous gunfights said to have taken place here.

Apart from the hotel there are relatively few sights. You can visit the old Grist Mill (if you’re timing is better than ours!), or stroll around the town’s remaining historic buildings with the help of a free walking trail leaflet. Further afield is the scenic Cimarron Canyon State Park, where the river that shares its name with the town tumbles through a rocky gorge.

Please start with my accommodation tip

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Capulin Volcano with me.

• Last visit to Cimarron: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Ian and I would like the St. James Hotel, as we both grew up with the old Western films. Like the look of Cimarron canyon, so pretty with the autumn leaves and cliffs.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM

As I have mentioned, I worked near Cimarron for two summers when I was a student, but Cimarron was actually only our postal address so I never saw much of the town.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM

5star tips that entice us to explore with you, great photographs! I'm in Naples, Florida until January 20 and do not have many opportunities to be on VT.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Oh wow, this would also be my kind of town! If you ever happen to stay in Hotel Ingrid you will see small tiles similar like the ones in your photos! Do they still use this marvellous old cash register? Fantastic landscape also, I love your Big Sky photos!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Cimarron

Have you been to Cimarron?

Latest Activity in Cimarron