"Where the West was wild" Cimarron by toonsarah
Cimarron Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos
This north east corner of the state has none of the big draws – no arty Santa Fe or Taos, no Indian Pueblos, no striking Spanish colonial architecture. But it does have wide open skies and a spirit evocative of the Wild West days that here seem like only yesterday.
And in Cimarron you will find a true Wild West gem, the St James Hotel. We spent a night here (very affordable, considering its unique character) and for that alone, were glad we had come to Cimarron.
Even if you don’t stay here, a drink in its atmospheric bar is a must – a bar whose ceiling still clearly shows the bullet holes from the numerous gunfights said to have taken place here.
Apart from the hotel there are relatively few sights. You can visit the old Grist Mill (if you’re timing is better than ours!), or stroll around the town’s remaining historic buildings with the help of a free walking trail leaflet. Further afield is the scenic Cimarron Canyon State Park, where the river that shares its name with the town tumbles through a rocky gorge.
Please start with my accommodation tip
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Capulin Volcano with me.
As soon as I read about the St James Hotel, I knew I wanted to stay here, and indeed one of our main reasons for... more travel advice
When we arrived in Cimarron we headed straight to the Visitor Centre which is right on Highway 64 (on your left if you... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cimarron Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the West was wild"
- "basstbn's new Cimarron Page"
- "Basaic Cimarron Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cimarron
- 6 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Cimarron?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cimarron
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH 15 DAY..."
- toonsarah created a new itinerary Road trip in New Mexico.
- updated a Cimarron Travel Page "Where the West was wild"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Where the West was wild"
- Wrote a Review Where the West was won (well,... in Cimarron Hotels
- Commented on one of basstbn's Cimarron travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 138 reviews, 363 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue