"Where the West was wild" Cimarron by toonsarah
Cimarron Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 36 photos
This north east corner of the state has none of the big draws – no arty Santa Fe or Taos, no Indian Pueblos, no striking Spanish colonial architecture. But it does have wide open skies and a spirit evocative of the Wild West days that here seem like only yesterday.
And in Cimarron you will find a true Wild West gem, the St James Hotel. We spent a night here (very affordable, considering its unique character) and for that alone, were glad we had come to Cimarron.
Even if you don’t stay here, a drink in its atmospheric bar is a must – a bar whose ceiling still clearly shows the bullet holes from the numerous gunfights said to have taken place here.
Apart from the hotel there are relatively few sights. You can visit the old Grist Mill (if you’re timing is better than ours!), or stroll around the town’s remaining historic buildings with the help of a free walking trail leaflet. Further afield is the scenic Cimarron Canyon State Park, where the river that shares its name with the town tumbles through a rocky gorge.
Please start with my accommodation tip
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Capulin Volcano with me.
As soon as I read about the St James Hotel, I knew I wanted to stay here, and indeed one of our main reasons for... more travel advice
When we arrived in Cimarron we headed straight to the Visitor Centre which is right on Highway 64 (on your left if you... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cimarron Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the West was wild"
- "basstbn's new Cimarron Page"
- "Basaic Cimarron Page"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cimarron
- 6 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Cimarron?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cimarron
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
Latest Cimarron hotel reviews
- St. James Hotel
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013