"A place of pilgrimage" Chimayo by toonsarah
Chimayo Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 91 photos
This little adobe church was built at the place where a local farmer, Bernardo Abeyta, is said to have dug up a miraculously glowing crucifix. The soil in the hole where it was found is believed to have powers of healing and is known as Holy Dirt.
But there is more to Chimayó than the sanctuary, wonderful a sight though that is. Nearby is another chapel, dedicated to the Santo Niño. This holds a statue of the Christ Child (El Santo Niño de Atocha) that some believe leaves the chapel to travel about the countryside at night working miracles.
And Chimayó is also a village of artists and craftsmen, as are so many in New Mexico. It is known for the families of nationally known weavers who live and work here, the Ortega and Trujillo families. There are several galleries devoted to traditional Hispanic and Tewa Indian arts including wood carving, paintings of saints on retablos (flat wood panels) and bultos (sculptures of saints), tin working, embroidery, and pottery. More idiosyncratic and modern arts are also represented. It’s a good place for shopping, as many crafts are cheaper here than in the city, and you can also buy chilli related products of all sorts and good quality religious objects in the shop attached to the shrine – as well the Holy Dirt itself, if that holds meaning for you.
And afterwards, to continue with us on the High Road to Taos, please visit my Truchas page.
- In a nutshell:Has a special atmosphere, regardless of your beliefs - or disbeliefs
While you may find many of New Mexico’s beautiful churches closed, and be forced to admire only from outside, the... more travel advice
A short walk from the Santurio is another beautiful chapel – in fact, I found the interior of the Capella de Santo Niño... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Chimayo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sacred Soil & Plastic Madonnas"
- "A place of pilgrimage"
- "El Santuario de Chimayo"
- "El Santuario"
- "Take the High Road from Santa Fe to Taos"
- "Basaic Chimayo Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chimayo
- Nightlife in Chimayo
- Restaurants in Chimayo
- Shopping in Chimayo
- Warnings and Dangers in Chimayo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chimayo
- 4 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (235)
Have you been to Chimayo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chimayo
- Posted in Travel Heathrow Forum "Re: how long to get out of..."
- toonsarah created a new itinerary Road trip in New Mexico.
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Chimayo tips
- updated a Chimayo Travel Page "A place of pilgrimage"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A place of pilgrimage"
- Wrote a Review El Santuario de Chimayó in Chimayo Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 138 reviews, 363 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue