"Would you make this place the state capital?" Cerrillos by toonsarah
Cerrillos Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 14 photos
Los Cerrillos means Little Hills, and in the hills surrounding this once prosperous town were found not just turquoise, in a distinctive green-tinged variety, but also gold, silver, lead and zinc. At the peak of all this activity, in the mid 1880s, there were roughly 3,000 prospectors working these hills and at the heart of them Los Cerrillos provided for all their needs, with 21 saloons, five brothels, four hotels, and several newspapers. The town became so well known that it was seriously considered as a possible capitol for New Mexico – hard to believe when you look around today.
Most of the mines closed before the end of the 19th century, although American Turquoise Company, a subsidiary of Tiffany’s, continued to mine here until the First World War. Today, just a few small private mines remain, but even so the majority of turquoise mined in New Mexico still comes from these beautiful hills.
If Madrid with all its bustle seems something of a half-hearted attempt at a ghost-town, Los Cerrillos is much closer to the real deal. Sure, people live here, but the sleepy dirt streets and decidedly run-down bar give it something of a forgotten look, although perhaps surprisingly this is more peaceful and friendly than sad. Maybe there is just enough life left here after all to make you feel welcomed? Or maybe the presence of the attractive 1920s church makes the place seem more cared for than it at first appears?
Whatever the reason, Los Cerrillos is well worth turning away briefly from the Turquoise Trail for. And if you should get the feeling that you are in a movie set, well ... you are! Los Cerrillos has been the location for some 13 movies, including Young Guns, Young Guns II, Shoot Out (with Gregory Peck) and John Wayne’s 1972 movie, The Cowboys.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit my Santa Fe page.
- In a nutshell:This place IS the Wild West!
This bar was until fairly recently simply called Cerrillos Bar, but its name was changed to Mary’s Bar for the shooting... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cerrillos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Would you make this place the state capital?"
- "CERRILLOS, NEW MEXICO"
- "Basaic Cerrillos Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cerrillos
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Cerrillos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cerrillos
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos