"Capulin Volcano National Monument" Capulin by toonsarah
Capulin Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 14 photos
Capulin, an extinct volcano, rises abruptly from the surrounding grasslands to a height of 8,182 feet above sea level. The rim of the crater is about a mile in circumference and the crater itself about 400 feet deep. Scattered over the plain at its feet are the signs of its past activity, with the dark scars of its lava flows interrupting the soft greens of the grassy plains.
You can drive the two mile winding road up to the top and be rewarded with wonderful views of the surrounding plains. Once there you can hike down into the crater, or around the rim, for more of those amazing views. Information boards describe the geology and wildlife of the volcano. It’s a great place to visit and shows you yet another aspect to the diverse state that is New Mexico.
And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Las Vegas (yes, really!) with me.
This is actually more of an "anti-warning"! The National Parks Service leaflet which you will be given on paying your... more travel advice
There are a number of trails of varying difficulty that you can do at Capulin. We chose the Rim Trail, described as... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Capulin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capulin Volcano National Monument"
- "Kai's Capulin Page"
- "Capulin, New Mexico"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Capulin
- 4 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Capulin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Capulin
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos