"Vietnam Veterans' Memorial State Park" Angel Fire by toonsarah

Angel Fire Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 22 photos

Vietnam Veterans' Memorial State Park: the Chapel

To be honest we didn’t actually visit Angel Fire. But as it’s the nearest place to the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial State Park, I’m placing my tips about the latter here.

The Memorial is a labour of love constructed by the parents of one soldier, David Westphall, who was sadly killed in the conflict. And in building this memorial to their son, Jeanne and Victor Westphall also created a memorial to all victims of that controversial war. It has now become a place of pilgrimage for the many other families who lost loved ones there.

For anyone old enough, as I am, to remember that time, a visit here is a moving experience even if you have no personal connection to it. And to me, this also serves as a memorial to all those who protested against this war and whose efforts dominated the news footage, and the songs, of my formative years.

Please visit my tips about the Memorial in order, starting here.

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico please visit Wild West Cimarron with me.

• Last visit to Angel Fire: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 10, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I felt so sad when reading about what the Soldier wanted to write, a very moving sculpture! What a wonderful memorial the parents built for their son, so nice to read it is open all the time.

• Greggor58's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Im not quite sure how I found my way here Sarah..an interesting page though and I enjoyed reading about this "State Park".Most interesting to me is the reason that its not locked up at night! Thanks for the little look :o)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I'm a Vietnam veteran myself, but I’m not sure how I would react to this place. Maybe I should just go and find out.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Nice page Sarah! The memorials are important and it is a place where some can grieve and reflect.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 9:16 AM

This is for sure a very much moving memorial!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2011 at 12:22 PM

Lovley little page with outstanding photos of the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial State Park. Luckily I am too young to remember this war and I thought that you can also only know it from the media. *charmingsmile*

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2011 at 11:36 AM

5-star tips written with elegant words and powerful photographs. So many of my students had brothers/sisters in this God awful war, and I attended many funerals. This was such an emotional group of tips; I appreciate your candor.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Hello, Sarah! I believe it was a moving experience to visit this memorial....The chapel and the monuments were created with great love...

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Angel Fire

Have you been to Angel Fire?