"Spaced out in Alamogordo" Top 5 Page for this destination Alamogordo by toonsarah

Alamogordo Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 150 photos

Alamogordo from the Museum of Space History

The main reason most visitors come to Alamogordo probably lies some miles out of town; this is the nearest accommodation (apart from back-country camping) for the White Sands National Monument.

And it was the sands that brought us here. In truth, it was the sands in part that brought us to New Mexico, although many other things drew us here too. But Alamogordo has a few other things to offer the visitor as well, although many will not linger here any longer than we did – a single night.

But that was long enough for us to explore the town’s other major attraction, the very good Museum of Space History, and to enjoy a tasty meal in a friendly, unpretentious local restaurant.

Alamogordo may not be the prettiest town in the state, but there are reasons enough to come here – and one very big reason!

Please start your visit to Alamogordo with my accommodation tip.

And to continue with us on our road trip through New Mexico, please visit the White Sands National Monument with me.

• Last visit to Alamogordo: Oct 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2012

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM

That's another museum that wouldn't mind visiting :-)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Your Motel and Meal sound very reasonable for these days!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2012 at 5:15 AM

I remember watching the first moon landing in the day room of a hostel in Denmark. It was fascinating at the time, so I'm sure I would also like the New Mexico Museum of Space History.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM

I have been here, aren't the sand dunes neat? Its been a long long time. Nice to see it still has wonderful character. The Museum of Space History looks fun. I will have to make the drive someday. Thanks Sarah.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2012 at 2:11 AM

Very reasonable accommodation you found there! And the Mexican food reminds me that I shall plan our next girls' night at our Mexican! It looks delicious! Oh, and another reason for me to think about New Mexico: I wasn't aware that there is another museum for space history. I only know the one at Cape Canaveral.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Alamogordo

Have you been to Alamogordo?

Latest Activity in Alamogordo