"A week by the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Cape May by toonsarah
Cape May Travel Guide: 305 reviews and 564 photos
But while researching likely spots in which we might unwind after a week in New York I discovered Cape May – a very different sort of New Jersey resort. OK it has a boardwalk (so-called, though it’s actually a paved promenade) and some typical seaside attractions such as crazy golf and amusement arcades. But these are low key and relatively unobtrusive, or at least they certainly were when we visited in late September. The real attractions of Cape May are the large number of beautiful Victorian cottages that grace its centre and the beautiful natural resources on its doorstep.
The entire city of Cape May has been declared a National Historic Landmark, and as you walk its peaceful streets you can easily see why. Lined with hundreds of these beautiful “Painted Ladies” they create a real sense of having stepped back in time, especially when you hear the leisurely clip-clop of a passing horse and carriage or see the lantern of an evening walking tour guide ahead of you.
Every house is different, and they are a photographer’s delight, as well as providing visitors with a wonderful range of individual apartments and bed and breakfasts. And as well as the houses themselves there are many other traces of Victorian Cape May, such as hitching posts for horses and mail-boxes.
Alongside all this history, there is natural beauty too. We went on a fantastic whale watching trip, and the town’s location at the tip of the state, guarding the entrance to Delaware Bay, and its natural resources, make it a haven for migrating birds, especially hawks and sea birds, and even if you’re not an enthusiast or an expert you’ll probably, like us, enjoy seeing and learning about the various species. And it’s not just migrating birds who pass through the area – Cape May is on the route of the Monarch butterflies’ annual migration too.
There is also a beautiful (and award-winning) beach in the centre of town and many other lovely ones in the immediate area. Our favourite for walks was Higbee, but you’re bound to find your own special one. The nearby State Park has a lighthouse you can climb, as well as a beach and bird-watching decks.
But I think what we liked best about Cape May was the relaxing pace of life, the feeling of being “at home”, and the friendly welcome we received.
- Pros: beautiful architecture, lovely beaches and a laid-back vibe
- Cons: less to do than some other seaside towns – don’t come here for bright lights and action
OK this photo of Chris is staged, but it carries a genuine warning. The pavements around Cape May are very cracked and... more travel advice
As well as being on the migration route for many birds, twice each year Cape May plays host to thousands of migrating... more travel advice
- See All Photos and jewellery
- Drinks at the bar
- See All A wonderful sandwich!
- See All A day trip to Atlantic City
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cape May Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VICTORIAN CAPE MAY"
- "A week by the sea"
- "A STEP BACK IN TIME"
- "Welcome to Cape May NJ"
- "A Touch of Elegance"
- "The town of no milkshakes!"
- "SURFIN7TH's new Cape May Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cape May
- Hotels in Cape May
- Transportation in Cape May
- Nightlife in Cape May
- Restaurants in Cape May
- Shopping in Cape May
- Warnings and Dangers in Cape May
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cape May
- 38 Reviews
- 107 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (152)
Have you been to Cape May?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cape May
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 128 reviews, 316 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos