"A place to unwind" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke by toonsarah
Ocracoke Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 225 photos
The main attraction of Ocracoke is the opportunity it offers for relaxation and unwinding from daily stresses, but there are a few things to see, such as the 1823 Ocracoke Lighthouse, the British Cemetery and the Banker Ponies.
The island is 16 miles long, and only about 2 miles across, narrowing in some sections to only half a mile, where sound and sea are both visible from the two-lane road.
The pretty village of Ocracoke where we stayed is on the island's southern soundside, clustered around the attractive Silver Lake Harbour. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 and has several good places to eat and stay, some nice little shops, and a friendly laid-back vibe.
We were there back in July 2000 and I’m writing this in early 2007, so I should warn you that some things will have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.
- Pros:Relaxation in a pretty spot with sea views and sea air
- Cons:If our experience is typical, it can rain quite a lot here
Everywhere here is very casual, even the most upmarket of restaurants, the Back Porch. Leave your city gear at home... more travel advice
We enjoyed just strolling around the village and capturing photos of the various colourful signs that contributed for... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Ocracoke Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocracoke Island"
- "A place to unwind"
- "Welcome to Ocracoke Island"
- "Ferry In - Ferry Out"
- "FreeCloud's new Ocracoke Page"
- "Mandi_Lu's Ocracoke Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ocracoke
- Hotels in Ocracoke
- Transportation in Ocracoke
- Nightlife in Ocracoke
- Restaurants in Ocracoke
- Shopping in Ocracoke
- Warnings and Dangers in Ocracoke
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ocracoke
- 13 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Ocracoke?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ocracoke
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos