"A place to unwind" Top 5 Page for this destination Ocracoke by toonsarah

Ocracoke Travel Guide: 99 reviews and 225 photos

Silver Lake Harbour, Ocracoke

We explored the length of the Outer Banks while on a driving tour of North Carolina, and Ocracoke was our favourite spot. It’s at the southernmost end of the island chain and reachable only by ferry from either Hatteras Island to the north or directly from the mainland (Swan Quarter or Cedar Island). We chose to arrive from Hatteras and leave via Swan Quarter.

The main attraction of Ocracoke is the opportunity it offers for relaxation and unwinding from daily stresses, but there are a few things to see, such as the 1823 Ocracoke Lighthouse, the British Cemetery and the Banker Ponies.

Visiting the island

The island is 16 miles long, and only about 2 miles across, narrowing in some sections to only half a mile, where sound and sea are both visible from the two-lane road.

The pretty village of Ocracoke where we stayed is on the island's southern soundside, clustered around the attractive Silver Lake Harbour. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990 and has several good places to eat and stay, some nice little shops, and a friendly laid-back vibe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We were there back in July 2000 and I’m writing this in early 2007, so I should warn you that some things will have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.

• Pros:Relaxation in a pretty spot with sea views and sea air
  • Cons:If our experience is typical, it can rain quite a lot here
  • Last visit to Ocracoke: Jul 2000
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:46 PM

You certainly saw some of the more interesting places in USA. This is an area I used to ravel for business and always liked it for the scenery. You have presented this spot with great pictures and comments.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Sarah, you have a lot of inspiration to create such lovely pages ! It's something to learn from! ><><><

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2010 at 2:33 PM

Loved the info about the horses and about the museum. What a great place to recharge. I always expect the finest from your tips, and you always deliver.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM

You are so right in praising the dedication that goes into the development of a small local museum! An uncle of mine spent his retirement years doing just that in a small town in Wisconsin, so I can confirm that it takes lots of work and perseverance.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2009 at 3:54 PM

interesting story about blackbeard

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2009 at 12:21 AM

It's beenmany years since we visited this stretch of the east coast - missed Ocracoke though - maybe next time. It looks just the sort of place we like to hang out for a few days. leyle

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Walking would be a wonderful way to wander through the narrow, winding back lanes :~)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Sarah, I must admit that I have never heard about Ocracoke, but maybe that's because I have never been to the USA. Fabulous little page here. Well done.

• Nov 20, 2008 at 9:21 AM

Hiya! Never fear - I was there in July and it was still as delicious as ever. I had the spinach and chickpea curry as I was seafood-ed out by that time. But I sampled my companions' seafood and it was delicious. Loved the crab beignet.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2008 at 7:07 AM

We used to visit the Outer Banks every summer. Your page really makes me long to see this area again--the ocean is in my blood since I came from a town on the water in Virginia! Great job!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Ocracoke

Have you been to Ocracoke?

Latest Activity in Ocracoke