"The Toon Army in Kharkiv" Top 5 Page for this destination Kharkiv by toonsarah
Kharkiv Travel Guide: 172 reviews and 458 photos
So we booked flights and hotel, applied for match tickets, and then started to do some research into where we were headed. I learned that we would be in Ukraine’s second largest city, a major industrial centre (Metalist take their name from the metal-workers who founded the club) but one not without history and attractions for the visitor, including some stunning churches.
A goalless draw in the home leg meant that all was to play for in the match in Kharkiv. We didn’t expect to go through the round, but we knew we had a chance. So match-night saw us wrapped up against the cold and heading for the stadium in good spirits (Newcastle fans are always in good spirits away from home, even after a defeat!)
In the end a 1-0 win, thanks to a Shola Ameobi penalty, was enough to see us through, and a good trip became an excellent one!
The rest of our time in Kharkiv was a mix of socialising with fellow fans and a bit of sightseeing. We didn’t see all that the city has to offer but we explored some of the main sights in the centre, such as the huge expanse of Ploshchad' Svobody (Freedom Square) with its still-standing statue of Lenin, the beautiful churches in the Pokrovsky Monastery complex, as well as some other churches, squares and attractive neo-classical buildings.
We also had some fun practicing our very limited Russian and naturally enjoyed more than a few beers and the odd (very good) local vodka. The trip was all in all an excellent mix of football, fun with friends, and sightseeing.
But before we start to explore, we must be sure where we are going! Hence my first tip, What’s in a name?
- Pros:Some architectural gems worth seeking out
- Cons:Cold in winter
I must say that I got very confused when trying to plan for and research this trip, simply because the city’s name has... more travel advice
We chose this hotel on the suggestion of a friend as it was in a great location for the main purpose of our visit to... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Kharkiv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KHARKIV - THE FIRST CAPITAL OF UKRAINE"
- "The Toon Army in Kharkiv"
- "Ukrainian St.Petersburg"
- "Welcome to Kharkiv"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kharkiv
- Hotels in Kharkiv
- Transportation in Kharkiv
- Nightlife in Kharkiv
- Restaurants in Kharkiv
- Shopping in Kharkiv
- Warnings and Dangers in Kharkiv
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kharkiv
- 30 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Kharkiv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kharkiv
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos