"“Waiting in the wings”." Lviv by toonsarah

Lviv Travel Guide: 819 reviews and 2,838 photos

Lviv from High Castle Hill

I have been going to the big VT Euromeetings for a few years now, and in 2010 decided that one meeting was not enough – I wanted more! The post-meeting arranged for Lviv seemed the perfect opportunity to extend the fun and to see a new city and new country.

It was also an opportunity for a long train journey. I have always loved travelling by train. There is a definite romance to it, and however scruffy the train and slow the journey, something in me responds to that – maybe my inner Michael Palin coming out!

I knew nothing about Lviv prior to deciding to come to this meeting but I discovered a beautiful city “waiting in the wings”. It has everything needed for city-break style tourism, apart perhaps from some of the infrastructure – interesting architecture, nice cafés, lots of history, very reasonable prices (by Western standards) and all in a compact city centre that is very explorable on foot.

Ukraine is to co-host the European Football Championships in 2012, which it seems likely will lead to an explosion in development aimed at the tourist market. While this may result in improved infrastructure it may also lead to some of the city’s charm being lost, so I recommend visiting sooner rather than later.

And if you do, what will you find? Beautiful churches with elaborate interiors; a lovely main square surrounded by historic townhouses; broad avenues and narrow winding streets; quirky cafés, a striking opera house and monuments of all kinds and styles. But also a friendly welcome and a sense that you and your fellow tourists are being absorbed by the city rather than swamping it.

Our time in Lviv was made immeasurably easier and more rewarding and fun due to the patient assistance of Victor, aka hunterV. He acted as guide and interpreter, but more importantly than either of these, he became a good friend. Thank you for everything Victor – we couldn’t have done or seen half as much without you!

• In a nutshell:A city break destination with charm and history, just waiting to be discovered
  • Last visit to Lviv: Jun 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2014 at 4:14 AM

Great tips

• Michael_D's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Not that many people have been to Lviv. I was there 2x a decade ago. Amazingly European. You mentioned a soccer game there Newcastle....amazing how easy it is to travel there now...

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Feb 15, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Thanks Michael. The football match that Newcastle will play in the Ukraine next week is in Kharkhiv, not Lviv, so I will have a chance to explore another city here :-)

• Pomocub's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Thanks for your help with the hot chocolate cafe, took me a while to find it searching the side streets but it was definitely worth the want.

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM

A great page you've got here Sarah! Lviv is one of those places I've been thinking about visiting for some time and I think it's getting closer now. If we get direct flights from London it will be a matter of urgency to go! But that train journey sounds interesting too. I remember seeing a TV show where they showed the undercarriage being changed as the train entered Ukraine and it seemed interesting (but perhaps less so if you are sat about waiting for it to be done).

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Amazing page! :) Actually I really would like to visit this city of lions :) I already heard lots of good word about it :)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Thank you Sarah for bringing back memories about Lviv since my visit in Soviet times. If the doorman asked me whether I was a Moscow spy I would answer “I am!” and unfortunately wouldn’t be able to enter into the Partisans' Restaurant with you and Victor

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I must agree with you, actually the Armenian Cathedral looks really beautiful. I can only imagine the cahos that you all created in that small kitchen of the restaurant.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2010 at 6:30 PM

What a great page Sarah! Lviv has quite a stack of historical monuments go explore and even your restaurant trips sound like an adventure. Lucky you to have a local 'guide' to help you out, but your train ride does sound like quite an effort!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2010 at 3:25 PM

What a wonderful trip this must have been for you. The culture and the churches and simply getting into knowing the people looks great. Nice job of presenting this area

• om_212's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2010 at 6:49 AM

good tips and interesting observations about Lviv, and that is just in two days :) just one remark, Danylo G. was not a Russian prince, he was a prince of Galitsia ;) Russia didn't existed at tha time yet. happy travels, Olya

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Lviv