"“Waiting in the wings”." Lviv by toonsarah
Lviv Travel Guide: 758 reviews and 2,453 photos
It was also an opportunity for a long train journey. I have always loved travelling by train. There is a definite romance to it, and however scruffy the train and slow the journey, something in me responds to that – maybe my inner Michael Palin coming out!
I knew nothing about Lviv prior to deciding to come to this meeting but I discovered a beautiful city “waiting in the wings”. It has everything needed for city-break style tourism, apart perhaps from some of the infrastructure – interesting architecture, nice cafés, lots of history, very reasonable prices (by Western standards) and all in a compact city centre that is very explorable on foot.
Ukraine is to co-host the European Football Championships in 2012, which it seems likely will lead to an explosion in development aimed at the tourist market. While this may result in improved infrastructure it may also lead to some of the city’s charm being lost, so I recommend visiting sooner rather than later.
And if you do, what will you find? Beautiful churches with elaborate interiors; a lovely main square surrounded by historic townhouses; broad avenues and narrow winding streets; quirky cafés, a striking opera house and monuments of all kinds and styles. But also a friendly welcome and a sense that you and your fellow tourists are being absorbed by the city rather than swamping it.
Our time in Lviv was made immeasurably easier and more rewarding and fun due to the patient assistance of Victor, aka hunterV. He acted as guide and interpreter, but more importantly than either of these, he became a good friend. Thank you for everything Victor – we couldn’t have done or seen half as much without you!
- In a nutshell:A city break destination with charm and history, just waiting to be discovered
The city of Lviv was founded by Daniel (otherwise Danylo) of Galicia, a prince who later became a king, in 1256 – or... more travel advice
The Ukrainian currency is the Hryvnia. There are bills for 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50 and 100 Hryvnias. There are also coins... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Lviv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gateway to the West"
- "Lviv - The princely city of Western Ukraine"
- "Lviv - mix of Western look and Eastern behaviour"
- "City of Lions and Open Hearts"
- "Lviv - the city of the East and the West"
- "Lwow (Lviv) City of Lion and Dreams"
- "VAs in Lviv 2010"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lviv
- Hotels in Lviv
- Transportation in Lviv
- Nightlife in Lviv
- Restaurants in Lviv
- Shopping in Lviv
- Warnings and Dangers in Lviv
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lviv
- 29 Reviews
- 142 Photos
- 23 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Lviv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lviv
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 172 reviews, 476 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 98 reviews, 211 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 45 reviews, 166 photos
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
- Krakow Intro, 34 reviews, 140 photos, 8 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (158)
Latest Lviv hotel reviews
- 76 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Grand Hotel Lviv
- 52 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Citadel Inn
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hotel Leopolis Lviv
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 31, 2012
- Lion's Castle Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 1, 2012
- The Kosmonaut Hostel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- 100 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 12, 2013