"A perfect holiday destination?" Top 5 Page for this destination Guatemala by toonsarah
Guatemala Travel Guide: 3,011 reviews and 8,579 photos
Although we spent only slightly longer there, of the two it was Guatemala which we felt we came a little closer to knowing, as we travelled around more and stayed in several town hotels rather than in the remote jungle lodges that were our bases in Belize. And what we saw of Guatemala, we loved.
In fact, Guatemala is possibly the perfect holiday destination, unless your taste runs to lying on a beach. Why? Well, let me offer you:
~ friendly welcoming people
~ reasonable prices
~ fascinating history, from Mayans through Colonial and more recent, difficult, times
~ interesting culture (local customs, traditional dress, beliefs etc)
~ colourful scenes on every street corner
~ good spicy food
~ refreshingly drinkable beers
~ accommodation to suit every budget, from back-packer to splurge
~ easy to get around (at least in the south)
So what?s not to like?! I really do recommend this country, which gave me the warmest of welcomes and more than lived up to our expectations.
This page presents a brief overview of the places we visited and a few general tips, but to read more about our trip please visit my separate pages about:
~ Santiago AtitlÓn
~ San Antonio Palopˇ
You might also like to read my Belize pages:
~ San Ignacio
- Pros:Friendly people, wonderful scenery, fascinating local culture
- In a nutshell:The perfect destination?
Having spent our first week in Guatemala in the south west, in the highland areas around Antigua and Lake AtitlÓn, we... more travel advice
Antigua was our base for the first few days in Guatemala, and although I loved everywhere that we visited in the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Guatemala Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "GUATEMALA - SECURITY"
- "Guatemala- Land of Volcanoes & Mayan Temples"
- "A perfect holiday destination?"
- "Guatemala City, not that ugly!"
- "Guatemala-Land of Beauty, Mystery, and Anguish"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guatemala
- Hotels in Guatemala
- Transportation in Guatemala
- Nightlife in Guatemala
- Restaurants in Guatemala
- Shopping in Guatemala
- Warnings and Dangers in Guatemala
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guatemala
- 100 Reviews
- 273 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (239)
Have you been to Guatemala?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guatemala
Photos in GuatemalaSee All Photos (273)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galßpagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue