"Castro's Cuba" Top 5 Page for this destination Cuba by toonsarah
Cuba Travel Guide: 5,233 reviews and 12,922 photos
We visited Cuba in 2005 and I put together a small travel page soon after, on first joining VT. When I looked at it again recently I was very dissatisfied with it so have done a complete overhaul (March 2011) to add more tips and more information.
We started our trip with a few days in the old town in Havana, where music plays constantly, and you can drink a mojito or smoke a cigar in one of Hemingway's favourite bars.
We then moved on to Las Terrazas to the west, and to the stunning scenery around Vinales. Next we headed for neo-classical Cienfuegos and the perfectly preserved colonial town of Trinidad, before crashing out for a few days on the beach at Varadero.
You could visit the eastern end of the island too but if you've only got 2 weeks, as we had, I recommend you choose one end only. Cuba's bigger than you realise!
So take it slowly, and leave time to absorb the local culture - enjoy a cocktail (a mojito or a cuba libre are the tourists' favourites, but there are plenty of others) and maybe smoke a cigar!
- Pros:Friendly people, old colonial architecture, good beaches and great cocktails
- Cons:The food isn't so great
- In a nutshell:Go before it's too late!
This hotel was a great base for our few days in Cienfuegos. It’s very centrally located, just a stone’s throw from the... more travel advice
Wherever you go in Cuba you will see images of Che Guevara. Statues and monuments in the towns, billboards at the side... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cuba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cuba-once the land of the one US dollar notes"
- "The Island of Rum, Cigars, Old Cars and Music"
- "Cuba que linda es Cuba..."
- "Castro's Cuba"
- "My itinerary"
- "Streetlife in Cuba"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cuba
- Hotels in Cuba
- Transportation in Cuba
- Nightlife in Cuba
- Restaurants in Cuba
- Shopping in Cuba
- Warnings and Dangers in Cuba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cuba
- 28 Reviews
- 88 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Cuba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cuba
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 539 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos