Antarctica Packing List Tips by toonsarah
Antarctica What to Pack: 45 reviews and 39 photos
Luggage and bags: Of all the holidays I’ve been on, I think this was the hardest to pack for! I had to consider:
- temperatures of 40 degrees and over in Buenos Aires where we spent the first couple of days
- temperatures well below freezing in the Antarctic itself
- dressy clothes needed for the two formal evening events on board ship
- casual comfortable clothing for the rest of the time
- and all in one suitcase as the cabins are small and space limited!
Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: One thing that helped in all this planning was that a warm parka is provided to every traveller when you go on board, and this is yours to keep as a souvenir. So you don’t have to worry about taking a warm top layer – but you do need to leave space to take it home if you want it!
To combat the cold I took a couple of sets of silk thermal underwear for the landings, but with my other layers (and temperatures only just below freezing) I was really warm on our first trip in the zodiacs and didn’t bother wearing them again.
Another essential item is a pair of Wellington boots for landings. I was surprised at this requirement as I’d expected hiking boots or warm sheepskin boots to be needed. But when you realise that at some landing places it’s necessary to wade the last few feet in icy water you appreciate the reason for these boots.
Photo Equipment: If you use film, make sure you bring plenty – although the shop on board has supplies, prices are high. The same applies to batteries. For some wildlife photos a long lens is necessary but even without this you’ll get good shots of the penguins who, it seemed to me, couldn’t wait to pose for the tourists! I also recommend you bring binoculars for whale and bird spotting.
More Reviews (38)
- See All Scott of the Antarctic
- See All Visit Half Moon Island
- See All Lifeboat drill
- See All Facilities on board
- Keeping fit on board
toonsarah's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Explore the World
- Orange Park Hotels
- San Antonio
- Norwood Hotels
- Guelph Hotels
- Parc du Mont-Orford Hotels
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 39 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos