"Antarctica" Antarctica by toonsarah
Antarctica Travel Guide: 1,150 reviews and 2,668 photos
We chose a trip on one of the larger cruise ships - it may feel less close to nature, and you have to wait longer for your turn to go ashore, but on the other hand there's plenty to do on board while you wait, and the costs are considerably lower. And as this may well be the most expensive trip you'll go on, that's a major consideration.
Step on shore anywhere and you'll immediately be hit by the sound, sight and incredible smell of the penguins! They look just as great as they do on TV, but no nature programme can prepare you for that smell - although if you ate nothing but fish and spent most of the day standing in one spot, you might make your patch rather smelly too!
We were told by our guides to obey the 5 metre rule: don't go any closer than that to any wildlife (and 15 metres from a leopard seal). But no one's taught the penguins that rule, and they'll come close enough that you'll get some great shots. Some even posed for us!
Possibly the most amazing thing about the Antarctic is the colour of the icebergs. You thought ice was white, right? Wrong :)
The icebergs are streaked with all shades of blue and turquoise, as you can see from the photo. I never tired of watching them. They drift along quite slowly and looking very stable, then can suddenly flip on their side. We learnt that this is caused by the ice below the water line being gradually eroded and changing the balance.
It was also fun to watch the penguins sliding off them onto the sea. Quite a few times too we saw a leopard seal basking on the ice, looking much more benign than their fiercesome reputation would suggest.
- Pros:Getting closer to nature than you ever thought possible
- Cons:The cost!
- In a nutshell:Dramatic scenery and incredibly cute penguins!
When I travel I like to take with me at least one book about the place I’m visiting. On this trip I took “Cherry” by... more travel advice
On the first morning at sea there was an obligatory lifeboat drill for all passengers. We were told where to find life... more travel advice
- See All Facilities on board
- Keeping fit on board
- See All Captain's Receptions
- Get your passport stamped
toonsarah's Related Pages
Antarctica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sharrie's Antarctica Miracle"
- "cruising with the Bark Europa"
- "The White Continent"
- "Antarctica - the BIG Ice"
- "Antarctica, both filled and empty in the same view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Antarctica
- Hotels in Antarctica
- Transportation in Antarctica
- Nightlife in Antarctica
- Restaurants in Antarctica
- Shopping in Antarctica
- Warnings and Dangers in Antarctica
- See All...
Nearby Travel Guides
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Antarctica
- 39 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Countries
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Antarctica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Antarctica
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos