"A world apart" Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands by toonsarah
Galápagos Islands Travel Guide: 1,271 reviews and 6,255 photos
At last I have realised my dream. And fortunately, it more than lived up to my expectations! A week of discovery, with each day surprising us with something new, something special. One day, a giant manta ray languidly turning in the waves beneath the cliffs where we stood. Another, an albatross chick, already enormous, sitting watching us as we sat and watched him. On one memorable morning, we were spellbound by a group of young Galápagos hawks who clustered around a new-born sea lion pup and his mother, one of them eventually swooping in to grab the placenta which all then eagerly devoured. And on another, we swam and snorkelled with a group of lively sea lions, patrolled by the watchful alpha male who tolerated our intrusion but disdained to join the fun.
We spent our week travelling the islands on board the Angelito, one of the older established boats available for tourist cruises, and one of the best value. Its itineraries and guiding are recognised as first class, but the boat itself is less than luxurious, though it has all that you need for a wonderful week at sea. No fancy cabins or leisure facilities, but a friendly and super-helpful crew, great meals conjured up in a tiny galley, a knowledgeable guide (Fabian) considerate of everyone’s needs, and enough space in which to chill and appreciate your surroundings between island visits. What more could we have asked?
We were also fortunate to find ourselves travelling with a super group of fellow explorers. Drawn from six nationalities, and spanning several decades in age, everyone nevertheless got on incredibly well, helped by a shared passion for what we were seeing and a respect for each other’s right to enjoy (and photograph!) it as much as we were.
So thank you (in no particular order) to:
From Australia: Sue & Geoff
From Switzerland: Steffi and Simon (though maybe not for the karaoke lol), Reto & Yolanda
From Belgium: Kurt & Cindy
From the US: Bill & Alison, Ryan & Mele (and apologies for using you as an extra guide at times!)
From the UK: Brian & Ian
And from Israel: Eli
And an especially big thank you to all the crew of the Angelito, and our wonderful guide, Fabian. We couldn’t have had the experiences we did without you!
I have provided links to my separate pages on the individual islands we visited within the relevant tips here. To read about these islands in more detail, please visit those separate pages:
Santa Cruz and Puerto Ayora
In those individual island pages I describe in more detail what we did on each island, the environment and landscape, and the wildlife to be found there. But for detailed descriptions of the animals and plants etc. I have linked back to this page rather than repeat myself too much.
I’ve presented the tips here in what I hope is a logical reading order, so to follow this please start with my warning about “Minimising the impact” of your visit to the Galápagos Islands.
- In a nutshell:The trip of a lifetime – if you can possibly go, do!
In 1979, the Galápagos National Park was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. This meant that the Park’s management... more travel advice
There are two airports on the Galápagos Islands, on Baltra and San Christobel, and we, like most tourists, flew to the... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Galápagos Islands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Galapagos Islands"
- "Places and faces of the Galapagos"
- "Independently Galapagos"
- "A world apart"
- "The Enchanted Islands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Galápagos Islands
- Hotels in Galápagos Islands
- Transportation in Galápagos Islands
- Nightlife in Galápagos Islands
- Restaurants in Galápagos Islands
- Shopping in Galápagos Islands
- Warnings and Dangers in Galápagos Islands
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Galápagos Islands
- 107 Reviews
- 449 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Galápagos Islands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Galápagos Islands
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Learning the Lingo."
- updated a Galápagos Islands Travel Page "A world apart"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Galápagos Islands travel pages
- Wrote a Review Minimising the impact in Galápagos Islands Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Minimising the impact"
- Uploaded a Video to Galápagos Islands
Photos in Galápagos IslandsSee All Photos (449)
Videos in Galápagos IslandsSee All Videos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue