"Ain’t no mountain high enough ..." Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Cotopaxi by toonsarah
Provincia de Cotopaxi Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 1,406 photos
We drove south from Quito with Jose Luiz along the Panamerican Highway, here known as the Avenue of the Volcanoes because it passes between the eastern and western ridges of the Andes with several active and inactive volcanoes, of which the highest and most famous is Cotopaxi . It had been bright when we left the city but soon clouded over rather, though some of the volcanoes could be seen – Cotopaxi however was hidden from view.
Cotopaxi means “Smooth Neck of the Moon” and the indigenous people have revered the mountain for centuries. To them, the mountain was the bringer of both good rains and good crops. Pre-Incan civilizations believed god dwelled at the top of the mountain.
But the mountain is also potentially the bringer of disaster. A still-active volcano (it last erupted about 70 years ago), an eruption today would cause the ice in its glacier to melt and to flood the valley below, bringing destruction to nearby Latacunga and as far north as the southern suburbs of Quito.
On the day of our visit the only “danger” was that we might not see it because of the cloud. Thankfully we did, but we had to wait a while before the mountain would oblige and show itself. Meanwhile, at Jose Luiz’s suggestion, we stopped at a rose-growing farm, which proved more interesting than I had anticipated. And after our visit to Cotopaxi we stayed nearby at a beautiful old hacienda, before continuing the next day to Quilotoa (a page on which will follow).
This is one of a number of small pages about a variety of places we visited on our holiday in Ecuador. There is more information about the country as a whole and our experiences there on my overview page, linked above.
Meanwhile to follow our day out in the order that we did, start with that visit to the rose farm
- Pros:Stunningly beautiful
- Cons:The altitude can challenge you if you're not used to it, and unpredictable weather means you may not see the summit
- In a nutshell:Majestic mountain splendour!
We left Quito quite early in hazy sun, and drove down the famous Avenue of the Volcanoes. Some were very clearly... more travel advice
By the time we came to Cotopaxi we had already been in Ecuador for nearly a week, spending our time in and around Quito.... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Provincia de Cotopaxi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Courting Cotopaxi & The Lonely Bull"
- "Cotopaxi National Park"
- "Ain’t no mountain high enough ..."
- "Volcán Cotopaxi - 5897 metres"
- "The Paramo Is Vast"
- "Roaming around Cotopaxi National Park"
- "Parque Nacional Cotopaxi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Hotels in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Transportation in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Nightlife in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Restaurants in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Shopping in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- 14 Reviews
- 59 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Provincia de Cotopaxi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Cotopaxi
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: gatwick to center after 23.00"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Provincia de Cotopaxi travel pages
- updated a Provincia de Cotopaxi Travel Page "Ain’t no mountain high enough ..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Ain’t no mountain high enough ..."
- Wrote a Review Visit a flower farm in Provincia de Cotopaxi Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Provincia de CotopaxiSee All Photos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos