"A few nights in the Amazonian rainforest" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado do Amazonas by toonsarah

Estado do Amazonas Travel Guide: 421 reviews and 1,157 photos

Early morning on the Amazon

A real must for any traveller in Brazil is a visit to the Amazonian rainforest, as the great river is more or less synonymous with the country.

The region is surprisingly well-developed for tourism. There are accommodation options catering to all budgets, from pretty basic camping through to luxury lodges. All of them have to be accessed by water, usually departing from Manaus. A typical three night package such as we took won’t give you long enough to get truly off the beaten path, but you will certainly feel as if you've left the world behind for a few days.

We stayed at the Amazon Village, a mid-price range option with accommodation in small wooden huts. It was a fantastic experience, highly recommended for anyone interested in wildlife or in other cultures, although you need to be prepared for the very high temperatures and humidity.

Attractions include colourful birdlife, boat rides through the backwaters, walks in the forest and night-time caiman viewing.

Our visit was some years ago now. I’ve done my best to check that all my info is up to date but I appreciate things may have changed. Please do let me know if you spot any errors or discover changes that I should correct.

• Pros:Closer to nature than you might expect, given the relative "mod cons"
  • Cons:The heat!
  • In a nutshell:An amazing experience
  • Last visit to Estado do Amazonas: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• Jun 14, 2011 at 12:52 AM

there is something about the amazon... it is definitely a magical place, especially in the jungle once off the river. i'd like to explore brasilian amazon, since i've already done peruvian bit!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2010 at 3:06 AM

Sounds like you had a wonderful and interesting trip to the Amazon rainforest! Great tips Sarah!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2009 at 9:33 AM

What an adventure! Your descriptions are outstanding and creates quite a visual in my mind's eye.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Ph wow, this sounds fascinating, although I think I also wouldn't like to see this bird eating spider.... or the needle fish... But the jungle tour sounds like fun otherwise and oh, a little frog in the room might... be funny, maybe :-)

• Aug 14, 2009 at 10:53 AM

Thanks so much for your wonderful descriptions and great pictures of Manaus and the Amazon. My grandson just finished a 3 day trip there and now I'll know more about it. You almost made me want to go! : ) I'm anxious to read your other trips.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

What an amaz(on)ing trip, Sarah! I was immersed in your descriptions and I am now back from a dream trip. The rain forest offers so much to discover, it is like the beginning of the world. Merci.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2008 at 12:45 AM

I like the sound of the jungle lodge you stayed in. Looked up the website, it loaded o.k. in english. Thanks for the tips.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Wonderful page, Sarah. There's nothing like the rain forest. I hope I get to visit it again.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 5:26 AM

Wow this must have been a very memorable holiday I love your dialogue & the brightly coloured parrots

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 3:58 AM

A very interesting page on an amazing visit to the rainforest. This sounds like my kind of place, a great place for birding.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Estado do Amazonas

Have you been to Estado do Amazonas?