"Praia do Forte" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado da Bahia by toonsarah
Estado da Bahia Travel Guide: 1,043 reviews and 2,594 photos
Another “eco-touch” is the TAMAR project in the village, dedicated to preserving the beach’s role as a prime nesting spot for turtles. The villagers used to augment the meagre living they made from fishing through an illegal trade in turtles’ eggs, threatening the species; now they can earn enough from the resort and from tourist visits to the centre that now provides protection for the turtles, meaning that this protection is now in locals’ interests too.
We chose this resort to end our tour precisely because it was on the edge of a village rather than isolated as so many tourist resorts are. If I’m in Brazil I like to be able to feel that I am in Brazil, not in some anonymous could-be-anywhere international resort.
I liked the way the village and resort here co-exist closely and support each other. The beach where holiday makers sun themselves is the same beach that locals use for their fishing, and on several occasions we saw tourists helping out in hauling in the nets.
Our visit was some years ago now. I’ve done my best to check that all my info is up to date but I appreciate things may have changed. Please do let me know if you spot any errors or discover changes that I should correct.
- Pros:Lovely setting, great facilities, good eco credentials, local colour - and those marmosets ;)
- Cons:A little over-developed for some tastes, and can't swim in sea all year round because of jellyfish
… we saw these masks on the roof of a house. I didn’t see them anywhere else and am not sure of their significance. I... more travel advice
Sea turtles come to this area to lay their eggs in a higher concentration than anywhere else in the world. Until 20 or... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Estado da Bahia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Praia do Forte"
- "PRAIA DO FORTE"
- "Bahia que tem dende!"
- "Bemvindo da Brasil! 1999-2000"
- "DO YOU LIKE COCONUT'S TREES????"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Estado da Bahia
- Hotels in Estado da Bahia
- Transportation in Estado da Bahia
- Nightlife in Estado da Bahia
- Restaurants in Estado da Bahia
- Shopping in Estado da Bahia
- Warnings and Dangers in Estado da Bahia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Estado da Bahia
- 14 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Estado da Bahia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Estado da Bahia
Photos in Estado da BahiaSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue