"Praia do Forte" Top 5 Page for this destination Estado da Bahia by toonsarah

Estado da Bahia Travel Guide: 1,052 reviews and 2,599 photos

Tufted-ear marmoset

This is the name of both a traditional fishing village on Brazil’s north eastern coast, and a purpose-built eco-resort on its outskirts. In addition to the usual attractions of any beach resort, we particularly loved the cheeky marmosets who visited the restaurant for breakfast every morning.

Another “eco-touch” is the TAMAR project in the village, dedicated to preserving the beach’s role as a prime nesting spot for turtles. The villagers used to augment the meagre living they made from fishing through an illegal trade in turtles’ eggs, threatening the species; now they can earn enough from the resort and from tourist visits to the centre that now provides protection for the turtles, meaning that this protection is now in locals’ interests too.

We chose this resort to end our tour precisely because it was on the edge of a village rather than isolated as so many tourist resorts are. If I’m in Brazil I like to be able to feel that I am in Brazil, not in some anonymous could-be-anywhere international resort.

I liked the way the village and resort here co-exist closely and support each other. The beach where holiday makers sun themselves is the same beach that locals use for their fishing, and on several occasions we saw tourists helping out in hauling in the nets.

Our visit was some years ago now. I’ve done my best to check that all my info is up to date but I appreciate things may have changed. Please do let me know if you spot any errors or discover changes that I should correct.

• Pros:Lovely setting, great facilities, good eco credentials, local colour - and those marmosets ;)
  • Cons:A little over-developed for some tastes, and can't swim in sea all year round because of jellyfish
  • Last visit to Estado da Bahia: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Those Marmoset's are so cute, I would be doing what you did!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2011 at 2:22 PM

Great tips on the turtle project and the EcoResort -- and on the Marmosets. My daughter once spent a year as a graduate student in Salvador (studying mangroves) and also worked on a project involving the Atlantic Rainforest.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Another excellent page. I especially found the Tamar Project to be enlightening. Loved the photo of masks on the roof! Your tip about the Marmosets was fascinating.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM

What a lovley place. I enjoyed the tour. The Tufted-ear marmoset are adorable!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

very nice tips and photos from one of my favorite parts of the world.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 3:26 AM

What a super place to visit. Turtles, birds, Marmosets, I would love it there. Great photos.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 12:49 PM

Sarah, I see you have been quite busy building new pages lately. The marmosets look indeed cute. :-)

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2008 at 1:27 PM

Love those cheeky marmosets!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2008 at 11:44 PM

What a marvellous spot to finish Brazilian holidays :-)) This sea turtle project sounds very interesting, maybe you have the chance to see the little ones somewhere else. And these marmosets look soooo cute :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Estado da Bahia

Have you been to Estado da Bahia?

Latest Activity in Estado da Bahia