"Just a flavour of Brazil" Brazil by toonsarah

Brazil Travel Guide: 12,916 reviews and 31,391 photos

Early morning in the Amazon Rainforest

This is a huge country, so you either need to have plenty of time to spare (we didn't!) or choose a few places to visit from the many possibilities.

We settled on:
Rio de Janeiro (of course - how could we miss that?!)
pretty colonial Parati
the falls at Iguaçu
Manaus and the Amazon , and
the north east, around Salvador , as well as the coast to the north of the city

On this page I’ve provided an overview of each destination and a few tips about planning a visit and local customs, but to get the full flavour of our holiday please check out my pages about the individual places we went to. Remember though that we were here some years ago. I’ve done my best to check that all my info is up to date but I appreciate things may have changed. Please do let me know if you spot any errors or discover changes that I should correct.

Our trip to Brazil was our first visit to South America and it gave us a taste for the continent that has drawn us back several times and I'm sure will continue to do so.

Already we've been back to visit Peru, and Buenos Aires (en route to Antarctica) and loved both places, so we owe Brazil a lot!

• Pros:So much variety in one country!
  • Cons:So of course you need to plan carefully to make the best use of your time
  • Last visit to Brazil: Oct 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about what you saw and did. I would love to do something similar, its on the never ending wish list!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Ah, now I have completed your Brazil :-)) I love your rainbow photos of Iguacu Falls and these are high on my wishlist if I ever come back to South America. Oh well, caipirinha calling... I think I have some cachaça left :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 4:22 PM

Brazil is definitely a very diverse country judging from your experiences in its various far corners! Lots of interesting historical facts here to go with your beautiful photos. Using Varig sounds like a good idea too!

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2008 at 4:13 PM

Visiting a rain forrest & colorful Colonial towns seems gr8. Your nature pictures of the moon, rainbow & waterfalls were stunning. Thank You for this sneak peek of Brazil.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 7:55 AM

An interesting overview of this huge country. I see what you mean that you need to plan carefully to make the best use of your time.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2008 at 11:18 AM

I really want to go to Iguacu Falls

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 6:36 AM

You got to see the Falls at Iguacu. How cool is that! If you really like Falls, some day you must visit our Canadian Niagara Falls in Ontario. Also thanks for checking out my Serifos & Oia pages.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2007 at 4:42 AM

Thanks for this short but sweet intro to Brazil. I think I prefer Bahia's cheeky marmosets to Antartica's smelly penguins :-) Cheers from the desert!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2006 at 10:43 AM

Hope to make it to South America sometime too!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM

beautiful photos from brazil :O)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Brazil