"A small gem in Romania" Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu by toonsarah
Sibiu Travel Guide: 395 reviews and 1,550 photos
I came to Sibiu, a city I had long wanted to see, to join the 2013 VT Euromeeting there, and it more than lived up to my expectations. A picturesque, historical city with a relaxed atmosphere; a place where you wander ancient streets and discover history around each fascinating corner.
Sibiu has a long history as a trading city strategically located at a crossroads between Europe and Asia, at the foothills of the mountains that blocked any easy route between the two continents. Thus any army wishing to invade Europe would need to pass through Sibiu, and holding this city gave any European nation wishing to repel such an invader a strategic edge.
For centuries it was the most important of the seven cities in German-occupied Transylvania, when it known as Hermanstatt, a name still seen in places. Only a relatively few Germans live here now, but the city reveals its roots in the style of its architecture, its impressive Evangelical Church and in the linguistic skills of many of its residents.
The old part of Sibiu consists of a Lower and Upper Town, with the latter containing the grander, civic buildings. These are for the most part grouped around three picturesque squares – the Large Square, Piata Mare; the Small Square, Piata Micã; and Huet Square. Streets lead away from these, lined with quite grand looking houses (or rather, their facades at least are grand, the buildings behind having been long ago divided into apartments). Around the old town a line of fortifications is still in places intact – a reminder of the strategic importance of the town and the necessity of defending it well.
Please start your visit to my Sibiu page with a flight to the city
I have also posted some travelogues with photos of the social aspects of the VT meeting. If you see yourself on any of these and aren't happy with its inclusion, please contact me and I will delete it immediately. And of course contact me if you like any photos of yourself and want a copy!
There are no direct flights from London to Sibiu, but that doesn't mean that it is difficult to get to. There are... more travel advice
The Imperatul Romanilor has a great location just a few steps from the Large Square (Piata Mare). It is a grand old... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Sibiu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "SIBIU, ROMANIA"
- "A small gem in Romania"
- "A lot of history....and not many visitors."
- "Sibiu - European Capital of Culture"
- "Why don't I have time enough to know Sibiu better?"
- "Place to dream and place to live in"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sibiu
- Hotels in Sibiu
- Transportation in Sibiu
- Nightlife in Sibiu
- Restaurants in Sibiu
- Shopping in Sibiu
- Warnings and Dangers in Sibiu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sibiu
- 34 Reviews
- 196 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Sibiu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sibiu
Photos in SibiuSee All Photos (196)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos