"A small gem in Romania" Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu by toonsarah

Sibiu Travel Guide: 368 reviews and 1,424 photos

The Large Square

Think of Transylvania and you think of darkness and horror, perhaps. But my Transylvania was a place of heat and sun, laughter and friendship.

I came to Sibiu, a city I had long wanted to see, to join the 2013 VT Euromeeting there, and it more than lived up to my expectations. A picturesque, historical city with a relaxed atmosphere; a place where you wander ancient streets and discover history around each fascinating corner.

Sibiu has a long history as a trading city strategically located at a crossroads between Europe and Asia, at the foothills of the mountains that blocked any easy route between the two continents. Thus any army wishing to invade Europe would need to pass through Sibiu, and holding this city gave any European nation wishing to repel such an invader a strategic edge.

For centuries it was the most important of the seven cities in German-occupied Transylvania, when it known as Hermanstatt, a name still seen in places. Only a relatively few Germans live here now, but the city reveals its roots in the style of its architecture, its impressive Evangelical Church and in the linguistic skills of many of its residents.

The old part of Sibiu consists of a Lower and Upper Town, with the latter containing the grander, civic buildings. These are for the most part grouped around three picturesque squares – the Large Square, Piata Mare; the Small Square, Piata Micã; and Huet Square. Streets lead away from these, lined with quite grand looking houses (or rather, their facades at least are grand, the buildings behind having been long ago divided into apartments). Around the old town a line of fortifications is still in places intact – a reminder of the strategic importance of the town and the necessity of defending it well.

Please start your visit to my Sibiu page with a flight to the city

I have also posted some travelogues with photos of the social aspects of the VT meeting. If you see yourself on any of these and aren't happy with its inclusion, please contact me and I will delete it immediately. And of course contact me if you like any photos of yourself and want a copy!

• Last visit to Sibiu: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2013

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Nice town, lovely weather and great company! It seems to have been a great VT-meet. I have never been to any Euromeet, but next year I have Thursday and Friday of besides the weekend, and can then make it to St Petersburg I hope.

Sep 22, 2013 at 3:26 AM

Oh, that would be lovely - I do hope you make it! Thanks for visiting my page meanwhile :-)

• edvin_br's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Excellent page!! Had a great time reading it :]

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Sarah, very comprehensive page with outstanding photos of Sibiu and the VT meeting. Although I have visited Romania already 4 times, I never really made it to Sibiu. - Now I am off to watch football. :-)

Aug 9, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Thank you Holger :-) You will have to go back to Romania for a fifth time to Sibiu as you would love it! A shame you and Sonja couldn't make the meeting - we all missed you both :-(

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Thank you Sarah for a colourful fascinating morning read :-)) I just love these old houses and am somehow hungry and thirsty now. Off maybe to make myself this lemonade with raspberries :-)

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Thank you Ingrid :-) I am glad you enjoyed this virtual visit to Sibiu, but sorry you couldn't have made it a real one and been there with us!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Hello, Sarah! Thanks for your interesting and detailed story about your stay in Sibiu... I almost felt I had also been there...

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Thank you Victor - and for your help in correcting my small error in the Orthodox Cathedral tip :-)

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I should have been here as well, we had planned on driving up from Beograd to Sibia, but then everything changed. But it was good seeing your photos and reading your tips, what an excellent page :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Thank you Regina :-) It's a lovely city and I hope you do get to see it one day

• Regina1965's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2013 at 5:17 AM

What a lovely page, Sarah, will come back tomorrow and read the rest of your tips :)

Jul 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Thank you Regina - but it was easy to create a "lovely page" about so lovely a city!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I like the ‘eyes’ on the old houses. This is something I have never seen anywhere before.
    Fine photos and informative texts, as always!

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Can I ask please if you rated any tips here? I know you usually do but I don't have any notices of ratings so I suspect there may be a glitch

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
      Jul 29, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Yes, I rated all of them. I have noticed the same problem. Have a look at members.virtualtourist.com/m.... Since today is Monday, the individual ratings will no longer be listed there, but they should be included in the total number for last week.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Wonderful page, Sarah! Your brilliant photos and excellent tips certainly speak well for Sibiu. So wish I could have been there --- the high temperatures certainly would have been the only downside I'm sure.

Jul 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Yes, it was a super meet, despite the high temperatures that caused some of us to wilt a little - and anyway, better that than clouds and rain :-)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 AM

Wonderful pages and pictures of Sibiu Sarah. Loved the travelogues too. Good job!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Sibiu