"A visit to a salt mine" Top 5 Page for this destination Wieliczka by toonsarah

Wieliczka Travel Guide: 119 reviews and 495 photos

Flight into Egypt, carved in salt

Wieliczka is known around the world for one thing: salt. It has been mined here continuously since the Middle Ages and the mine is now a UNESCO Heritage Site and a must-see when in this part of Poland.

I came here with a group of VT-ers on an outing during the wonderful 6th VT Euromeet in Krakow. We had an excellent afternoon out, following the tourist route through the mine and ending with what we are claiming as the deepest VT meeting in the world ever – unless anyone out there knows differently?

• Last visit to Wieliczka: May 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2012 at 6:00 AM

Superb write up Sarah. Going to the mine was one of the things i had most looked forward to in going to Krakow. I would have loved to have seen more of the mine. The main chapel was one of the most amazing things ive ever seen. regards from maryland.val

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Awesome page! Well, I visited the mine 6 times now and I can see that each time I see some improvements (and usually some closed parts due to renovations).

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2010 at 8:19 AM

Good that they didn't forget to show the horses who spent their entire lives down in the salt mine. In Zola's novel Germinal he describes the horses that spent their entire lives in the coal mine -- and drowned at the end when it was flooded.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM

great write up Sarah

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Wow, a chapel made out of salt and a pub too...:)! It doesn't get any better than that. Excellent page Sarah!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jun 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I enjoyed this mine too though it looks like not as much as you guys at the deepest VT meeting ever!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Another fabulous little page about your adventures in Poland. A pity that I missed this deepest VT meeting.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Fascinating! I was in a salt mine in Colombia ages ago and really love what they do with this so "daily" material. Haha, didn't know that this was a working meeting :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Hello, Sarah! I am impressed even without visiting that salt mine... Thanks for your story! I am sorry I had no chance to join you!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Wieliczka

Have you been to Wieliczka?