"A little page about Alkmaar" Top 5 Page for this destination Alkmaar by toonsarah

Alkmaar Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 345 photos

Weigh House, Alkmaar

As with so many of our short trips to Europe, we came to Alkmaar because of football. The match didn’t go according to plan (Newcastle lost 2-0 and went out of the UEFA Cup for another season) but I won’t hold that against the place, which is a nice little town with pretty canals and friendly bars.

We were only here for one night, much of that taken up with football, but long enough to take a few photos and learn a bit about the town to share here on VT.

• Last visit to Alkmaar: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 26, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2014 at 12:21 AM

I've enjoyed your page and seeing what I missed out on! Intended to go there and didn't make it.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jan 27, 2014 at 7:39 AM

We weren't here long enough to see it properly but at least we got a small taste. Thanks for visiting!

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Looks a nice town Sarah. Put your transport tip on my planner as we will be in Amsterdam (post river cruise)26th August, have 4 nights and might visit.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Hi Sarah, a nice page! I remember that when I visited the Netherlands about thirteen years ago, we always drove past Alkmaar, but I did not know that it was such a pretty town until I looked it up on VT some months ago.
    Despite all the cheesy stuff, I would like to visit the town one day :-) Your pictures are beautiful!
    Good that football is another reason to visit nice places like this :-)
    PS: Did you see the match yesterday evening? Wow, what a crazy match!

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Nice Alkmaar page.
    I was there myself many many years ago and do in particular remember the cheese and a local nurse :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Thanks for your nice virtual tour, Sarah!><><><><><

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2010 at 5:06 AM

Found this footie ditty when checking to see if I'd seen all your Poland pages & a nice surprise it was. Love the look of the Café Corridor and agree with your assessment of cheese AND their cheese. Funny, many Europeans have no idea of UK cheese!

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Great intro and good all round page. This is definitely a place to be added as a day-trip out from Amsterdam. Chee(se)rs, John.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2009 at 8:32 AM

A week in Amsterdam coming up in June - Alkmaar could be a nice little side trip.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Too bad about Newcastle losing the match, but otherwise Alkmaar looks like a pleasant town. I didn't know you could save one Euro by buying your train ticket from a machine. The German Railways tried to do that but backed down after a huge public protest.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Agree with robertgaz u couldn't have tasted the strong dutch cheese I do like their hard goats cheese. Alkmaar is a really pretty historic town I must go back now with my vt eyes

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Alkmaar

Have you been to Alkmaar?

Latest Activity in Alkmaar