"Too little time in Rüdesheim" Top 5 Page for this destination Rüdesheim am Rhein by toonsarah

Rüdesheim am Rhein Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 325 photos

We visited Rüdesheim am Rhein as part of our Rhine cruise; in fact, it was the one town where we managed to spend a fair amount of time, as we moored here twice and were able to go ashore both times.

The weather was very hot, and my mother in law tired from the journey, so we didn’t do the optional excursion here on our first day, which would have taken us to a wine-tasting and to the famous Mechanical Music Museum. But Chris and I enjoyed wandering its picturesque streets on our first visit, and all of us spent an evening here on our second visit, meeting a friend for dinner and a few drinks.

I really liked Rüdesheim, despite its touristy nature. The highlights included the sympathetically restored church of St Jakobus in the main square, the picturesque half-timbered houses with traditionally painted walls, and the unusual and photogenic signs.

We also, like every tourist here, took a walk along the famous Drosselgasse, a 144-metre-long narrow cobblestone street which dates back to the 15th century. Lined with restaurants and bars, it is very busy and touristy, but manages to retain its character nevertheless.

With more time I would like to have taken the chair lift to the Niederwalddenkmal for the views of the town and river below, and for the cooler air we would almost certainly have found there. But instead we found that pleasant air, and lovely views, in the riverside park where we enjoyed a glass of local wine from a stall and watched the sky darken and floodlights pick out the beautiful chapel, the Rochuskapelle, on the opposite bank of the Rhine.

~~~o~~~

• Last visit to Rüdesheim am Rhein: Jul 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Sarah, we will be on a cruise which stops here mid August. Intersting point about having a German meal, which we both enjoy, imagine cruising through Germany and not having a German meal!

• paulhanson's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Hey, shouldn't the Ansbach come under a Warning tip!!??

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Hello Sarah! Very enjoyable tips on Rudesheim. It's a party town for sure. I always think of the song "Drink Drink Rudesheim drink". Have a great weekend.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Lovely page Sarah! Love all those signs, the paintings, carvings, and THAT Kaffee!

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2010 at 11:23 PM

You make this sound just like I have always thought Ruedesheim would be. I will be there next year and can't wait to try that Kaffe. Thanks Sarah

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM

hi sarah, nice new page. cheers. sb

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM

It looks like the bank's vault would be well protected in the impressive Adlerturm! I could not agree more, your little evening sojurn beside the Rhine sounds like a perfect finish to your day in Rüdesheim am Rhein! A lovely page.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Sarah, lovely little page about this well known German town. I must admit that I have never been there. I am even surprised that the famous Drosselgasse is only 144 m long. Great "Level crossing" story here.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2010 at 12:58 PM

Really nice page Sarah. I like that black cat on the house too.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Great that you found that local wine kiosk by the river! Rüdesheim is actually my least favourite town on this part of the Rhine, but it does have its points. One year we had our staff outing there and toured the Asbach brandy plant.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Rüdesheim am Rhein

Have you been to Rüdesheim am Rhein?

Latest Activity in Rüdesheim am Rhein