"A grand place" Brussels by toonsarah

Brussels Travel Guide: 5,650 reviews and 11,941 photos

Grand Place at night

Staying right in the heart of the city, in a small no-frills hotel right on the Grand Place, we had only to step outside the front door to experience the best of what Brussels has to offer; that amazing square with its wonderfully ornamented guild houses has to be one of the most beautiful in Europe, and even more so I felt when illuminated at night.

We spent just a night and a day here, en route home from one of our football-watching trips, this time to Gent, so unfortunately we only had time to see a little of what the city has to offer

Still we managed to pack quite a bit into that one day!

Apart from the Grand Place we enjoyed a city tour, saw the Mannekin Pis, visited the Atomium and managed to fit in several good meals and more than a few beers!

• Pros:Stunning centre piece to a city
  • Cons:Maybe less to do than some other destinations
  • Last visit to Brussels: Feb 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Brussels certainly look lovely at night especially the Grand Place. The Atomium, Chinese Pavilion and Japanese Tower indeed attract us the most. It has been a long time since we last visited Brussels. Your pages certainly bring back fond memories of our several trips to that city. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Oct 7, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Hi Ho & Pang - how nice to hear from you! I'm glad my page brought back good memories for you :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM

It's a nice legend about the peeing boy statue.... I would visit too. Brussels is a splendid destination....

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2010 at 1:52 AM

Good, honest review on Brussels. The palace lit at night is beautiful, my favorite photo! Like the tips on the reasonably priced meals and Hotel, always handy to know about!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Isabella was quite right. Brussels is underrated. Another place to meet. There are some AMAZING beer bars here and despite all my sampling I do have notes to remind me what I liked! lol Just imagine trying to find that little mannequin after 14 beers! ;)

• Mar 15, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Valuable info, Sarah!! And I might just get a chance to see the greenhouses - Cheers, Marina ;-)

• Dec 8, 2008 at 3:28 AM

Great photos and tips!

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 2:36 AM

Isn't that Place a stunner! We were there at Christmas time and Mozart arias were being sung from the ramparts!Wow!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 5:00 AM

Excellent tour around Brussels. Beautiful architecture. Great tips.

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2008 at 11:59 AM

Yet again you've managed to pack a lot into a brief visit. Another excellent page !

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2007 at 2:28 AM

i missed the royal park when i was there - pity

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Brussels

Have you been to Brussels?

Latest Activity in Brussels