"Where two Margarets once ruled" Top 5 Page for this destination Mechelen by toonsarah
Mechelen Travel Guide: 285 reviews and 676 photos
My work brought me here, and I found it to be crammed with history and well-supplied with enticing bars & restaurants - a super destination for a short break, and one truly worth discovering for yourself.
The tower of St. Rumbold's Cathedral dominates the skyline and its bells regularly peal, adding a further layer of atmosphere. For a short period in the first half of the 16th century, Mechelen was the capital of the Low Countries, and its proud history is everywhere.
You can visit the palaces of two great women who ruled here – Margaret of York and Margaret of Austria. Or stand on the spot where Charles the Fifth once lived as a boy – the man who grew up to rule over the Holy Roman Empire and hold no fewer than 72 titles. Durer, Erasmus and Thomas More were all visitors to the court where he was raised.
These days of glory are long gone, but for the visitor that is perhaps a bonus. You won’t find bright lights or a metropolitan capital here, but a warm and welcoming small city going about its business with a wonderful backdrop.
- In a nutshell:Great destination for a small scale city break
There are two essential purchases in my view on any visit to Belgium – beer and chocolate. Luckily in Mechelen you... more travel advice
This isn’t at all a tourist destination and probably shouldn’t be featuring here as a tip for visitors to the city,... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Mechelen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mechelen, where an emperor was raised"
- "Where two Margarets once ruled"
- "Did you missed it? what happened?"
- "Mechelen - Religious capital of Belgium"
- "Mechelen, city of the moon extinguishers"
- "VT meeting - Part I"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechelen
- Hotels in Mechelen
- Transportation in Mechelen
- Nightlife in Mechelen
- Restaurants in Mechelen
- Shopping in Mechelen
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechelen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mechelen
- 22 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Mechelen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechelen
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (173)
Latest Mechelen hotel reviews
- Hotel Carolus
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 1, 2013
- NH Mechelen
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Holiday Inn Express Mechelen City Centre
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Gulden Anker
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Novotel Mechelen Centrum
- 89 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Hotel Hobbit
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013