"Beautiful British Columbia!" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia by toonsarah

Province of British Columbia Travel Guide: 8,956 reviews and 20,740 photos

Glaciers seen from Rogers Pass, Glacier NP

As a holiday destination British Columbia certainly has a lot to offer – majestic mountains, a beautiful coastline, some lovely places to stay and a wide variety of activities.

The highlights for me were the awe-inspiring snow-clad Rocky Mountains and the week we spent on Vancouver Island, including a couple of very different but equally rewarding whale-watching trips.

I’ve made a separate page about Vancouver Island as there’s so much to say about it, so this page is devoted almost exclusively to the mainland of British Columbia: the mountain scenery of the national parks, naturally, but also some interesting historical sights, such as the Last Spike where the railroad across the continent was finally completed, and a trip back in time at Hat Creek Ranch.

We were there back in June 2002 and I’m writing this five years later in 2007, so I should warn you that some things may have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.

• Pros:Wonderful scenery, easy driving, friendly people
  • Cons:Rain can obscure those mountains
  • In a nutshell:Splendour of the Rockies
  • Last visit to Province of British Columbia: Jun 2002
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Hello, Sarah! Thanks for your story about British Columbia! I see it's such a wonderful place! ~

• Oct 9, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Fantastic web site with a lot of information!

• spitball's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Excellent tips Sarah.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2008 at 2:39 PM

Hi Sarah, I enjoyed reading your comprehensive and enthusiastic tips on B.C. Once I took the train from Vancouver to Winnipeg, but the B.C. part was mostly at night so I didn't see very much. I don't even know if our train went through the spiral tunnels.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 2:01 AM

Sarah, fantastic page with amazing photos. I especially like the tip about talking to a bear when you meet one in the area. So which topics are recommended to discuss with bears in British Columbia? :o)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Perhaps because you drive on the "wrong" side of the road is why you did the Sea to Sky backwards? ;-) Lovely page Sarah!

• sourbugger's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM

looks a stunning place to visit. let's hiope they don't add 'bernard' to the manning provincial park name !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 6:28 AM

Astounding beauty presented here, Sara. Between mts., a water falll, national parks, a canyon, an island, museums, and wildlife..it's compelling. 5-star tips!!Good warning, loved the spiral tunnel info.; long to see Lake Louise. Bravo!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 8:12 AM

Excellent page Sarah - interesting tips and some amazing photos! I think I may have to add Canada to the wish list now : )

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Lovely page Sarah bringing back some memories for me = I see you crossed the border from the opposite direction from me. Your hotel tips might be useful to me if I find my self back here

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Province of British Columbia

Have you been to Province of British Columbia?