"Big sky country" Top 5 Page for this destination Wyoming by toonsarah
Wyoming Travel Guide: 3,063 reviews and 9,067 photos
We went there to see the famous national parks, Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and these were certainly among the highlights of our trip, but we discovered that the state had a lot more to offer.
For a start, Wyoming is a great place to see wildlife, including the wonderful bison in Yellowstone, plus elk, moose, grizzlies and much more. And if you want to visit somewhere that epitomises the romantic notion of the wild west frontier, Wyoming could be the place. It was once home to Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid, Kid Curry and Buffalo Bill, among others, and their legends live on in places like Cody and Sundance.
You can also find haunting memories of the Oregon Trail pioneers, particularly in the southeast corner of the state. And do make sure you get off the beaten path if driving - check out the various scenic byways and make the most of that stunning landscape!
Our route took us in a loop, with the main places we visited being:
- friendly university town with a welcoming vibe and an interesting museum
- good place to break our journey, with a great value hotel and really good beer at the local microbrewery
Grand Teton National Park
- fantastic mountain scenery and a memorable anniversary dinner
- rightly on everyone?s must-see list, and it didn?t disappoint
- great Western town with an excellent museum and the equally good Old Trail Town for memories of Butch & Sundance
The Big Horn mountains and Sheridan
- the accommodation "find" of the trip at Spahn?s B&B and a very different side to wild Wyoming
The Devil's Tower
- another must-see and a place with a very unique atmosphere
- where the Kid got his name!
a detour into South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse
- sculpture on a grand scale and an impressive undertaking
then back into Wyoming and to Lusk
- on the route of the Deadwood-Cheyenne stage, surrounded by some of the emptiest landscapes and biggest, bluest skies
? in the heart of Wyoming?s history on the old Oregon Trail
- the state?s capital, though one of the smallest in the country
Rather than cover all of these in detail on this page, I've created individual pages and tips on all these places - follow the links to check these out. The tips on this page are just the general thoughts I've had about visiting Wyoming, so do please visit my other pages if you want the full picture!
- Pros:Wonderful scenery and room to enjoy it, plus fascinating history
- In a nutshell:Big skies and big landscapes
There are several websites that I found helpful when planning our trip to Wyoming. Some of the best... more travel advice
Wyoming is a very empty state and public transport links aren?t good, so you really do need a car to get around. If... more travel advice
Written May 9, 2016
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Written May 9, 2016
On the Oregon Trail
toonsarah's Related Pages
Wyoming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WYOMING: MODERN WILD WEST"
- "Wyomings - Treasures!"
- "Big sky country"
- "JACKSON HOLE, WYOMING"
- "Truly Wild Wyoming"
- "Wyoming, America's treasure"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wyoming
- Hotels in Wyoming
- Transportation in Wyoming
- Nightlife in Wyoming
- Restaurants in Wyoming
- Shopping in Wyoming
- Warnings and Dangers in Wyoming
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wyoming
- 113 Reviews
- 206 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (238)
Have you been to Wyoming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wyoming
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue