"Big sky country" Top 5 Page for this destination Wyoming by toonsarah
Wyoming Travel Guide: 2,809 reviews and 8,162 photos
We went there to see the famous national parks, Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and these were certainly among the highlights of our trip, but we discovered that the state had a lot more to offer.
For a start, Wyoming is a great place to see wildlife, including the wonderful bison in Yellowstone, plus elk, moose, grizzlies and much more. And if you want to visit somewhere that epitomises the romantic notion of the wild west frontier, Wyoming could be the place. It was once home to Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid, Kid Curry and Buffalo Bill, among others, and their legends live on in places like Cody and Sundance.
You can also find haunting memories of the Oregon Trail pioneers, particularly in the southeast corner of the state. And do make sure you get off the beaten path if driving - check out the various scenic byways and make the most of that stunning landscape!
Our route took us in a loop, with the main places we visited being:
- friendly university town with a welcoming vibe and an interesting museum
- good place to break our journey, with a great value hotel and really good beer at the local microbrewery
Grand Teton National Park
- fantastic mountain scenery and a memorable anniversary dinner
- rightly on everyone’s must-see list, and it didn’t disappoint
- great Western town with an excellent museum and the equally good Old Trail Town for memories of Butch & Sundance
The Big Horn mountains and Sheridan
- the accommodation "find" of the trip at Spahn’s B&B and a very different side to wild Wyoming
The Devil's Tower
- another must-see and a place with a very unique atmosphere
- where the Kid got his name!
a detour into South Dakota to see Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse
- sculpture on a grand scale and an impressive undertaking
then back into Wyoming and to Lusk
- on the route of the Deadwood-Cheyenne stage, surrounded by some of the emptiest landscapes and biggest, bluest skies
– in the heart of Wyoming’s history on the old Oregon Trail
- the state’s capital, though one of the smallest in the country
Rather than cover all of these in detail on this page, I've created individual pages and tips on all these places - follow the links to check these out. The tips on this page are just the general thoughts I've had about visiting Wyoming, so do please visit my other pages if you want the full picture!
- Pros:Wonderful scenery and room to enjoy it, plus fascinating history
- In a nutshell:Big skies and big landscapes
There are several websites that I found helpful when planning our trip to Wyoming. Some of the best... more travel advice
Wyoming is a very empty state and public transport links aren’t good, so you really do need a car to get around. If... more travel advice
Written Dec 16, 2006
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
Written Dec 16, 2006
On the Oregon Trail
toonsarah's Related Pages
Wyoming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WYOMING: MODERN WILD WEST"
- "Wyomings - Treasures!"
- "Big sky country"
- "JACKSON HOLE, WYOMING"
- "Truly Wild Wyoming"
- "Got_Snow's new Wyoming Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wyoming
- Hotels in Wyoming
- Transportation in Wyoming
- Nightlife in Wyoming
- Restaurants in Wyoming
- Shopping in Wyoming
- Warnings and Dangers in Wyoming
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wyoming
- 113 Reviews
- 206 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Wyoming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wyoming
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 185 reviews, 512 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos
Top Wyoming hotels
- Jackson Hotels
- 274 Reviews - 555 Photos
- Cody Hotels
- 112 Reviews - 302 Photos
- Yellowstone National Park Hotels
- 1097 Reviews - 3426 Photos
- Thermopolis Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 7 Photos
- Moran Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 21 Photos
- Cheyenne Hotels
- 78 Reviews - 141 Photos
- Sheridan Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 49 Photos
- Evanston Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Teton Village Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Alpine Junction Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Casper Hotels
- 4 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Devils Tower Hotels
- 90 Reviews - 250 Photos
- Grand Teton National Park Hotels
- 314 Reviews - 925 Photos
- Laramie Hotels
- 51 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Afton Hotels
- 1 Review - 3 Photos