"Our Land of Enchantment" New Mexico by toonsarah
New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,235 reviews and 10,455 photos
What delighted us most was the variety. In two and a half weeks we saw natural wonders and man-made.
We followed trails worn down over the centuries by the moccasin-clad feet of early inhabitants, and sat in the cramped confines of a Mercury capsule (used in the first US spaceflight missions).
We marvelled at the legends of those early Native Americans, and at the tales of aliens crashing near Roswell.
We stayed in an historic hotel where outlaws had shot and sometimes even killed each other; in a cosy adobe casita; and in a former brothel.
We saw ancient petroglyphs, Route 66 Americana, and exciting modern art in the contemporary galleries of Santa Fe.
We drove for miles, often seeing more cattle than cars, with skies, and landscapes, that seemed to go for ever. Some of our favourite drives were on several of the state’s Scenic Byways, described here in my “Things to Do” tips.
And as we travelled I came to think that there was more than one New Mexico. Consequently I have arranged my “Favourites” tips here not by place but by theme. Visit with me “Native New Mexico”, “Hispanic New Mexico”, “Wild West New Mexico”, “Space Age New Mexico” and “Natural New Mexico”.
Of course I have plenty to tell you about the individual places we visited too. In order, these were:
~ appealing Silver City
~ fascinating Gila Cliffs National Monument
~ sleepy Hillsboro
~ surprisingly historic Socorro
~ quirky Pie Town (the first Pie Town page on VT!)
~ dramatic El Malpais
~ captivating Acoma Pueblo
~ lively Albuquerque
~ arty Madrid
~ the ghost town of Los Cerrillos
~ even more arty, and artful, Santa Fe
~ an enjoyable encounter in Española
~ remote Tsankawi
~ spiritual Chimayó, isolated Truchas & stunning church at Las Trampas on the High Road to Taos
~ atmospheric Taos Pueblo and the very likeable town of Taos itself
~ the ghost town of Elizabethtown and the moving Vietnam Veterans' Memorial on the Enchanted Circle drive
~ Wild West Cimarron and volcanic Capulin in the north east of the state
~ very likeable Las Vegas
~ a Route 66 Museum in Santa Rosa
~ Billy-the-Kid-obsessed Fort Sumner, and
~ alien-obsessed Roswell
~ "war-torn" Lincoln
~ stunning White Sands National Monument and nearby Alamogordo
~ and our last stop, picturesque Mesilla
Please visit these pages in order if you want to follow our route - or dip in and out if you prefer ;-)
- In a nutshell:This place could blow your mind!
While humans have made their mark on New Mexico over the centuries, and in a number of ways, it remains for the most... more travel advice
If you have ever watched a western, you have seen New Mexico, or something very like it. Vast plains, huge skies, and... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
New Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Enchantment"
- "New Mexico, Earth, But Out of this World"
- "One of our 50 is missing!"
- "UNIQUE CULTURE AMONGST SOUTHWEST GRANDUER"
- "Land of Varied Scenery"
- "New Mexican Legends ...."
- "Our Land of Enchantment"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Mexico
- Hotels in New Mexico
- Transportation in New Mexico
- Nightlife in New Mexico
- Restaurants in New Mexico
- Shopping in New Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in New Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Mexico
- 215 Reviews
- 772 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 30 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to New Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Mexico
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 127 reviews, 321 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos