"Blue mountains and sandy shores" Top 5 Page for this destination North Carolina by toonsarah

North Carolina Travel Guide: 4,698 reviews and 10,134 photos

Blue Ridge Mountains, NC

As a holiday destination North Carolina has a lot going for it, so I find it surprising that it’s not that often visited by British holiday makers. OK there are no theme parks and maybe the weather is less than predictable, but the scenery is lovely. There’s the beautiful Outer Banks coastline to the east and the equally beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains to the west.

And while the central part of the state has few obvious attractions, the city of Charlotte is well-placed as a transport hub (with direct and competitively priced flights from the UK) and has an attractive, compact downtown area.

There are also some interesting towns to visit - we particularly liked Wilmington in the south east of the state.

We combined our driving tour here with a few days in Virginia to the north which allowed us to add some fascinating historical destinations to our itinerary and ensured a varied and well-paced tour.

We were there back in July 2000 and I’m writing this in early 2007, so I should warn you that some things will have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.

• Pros:Beautiful and varied scenery, not too crowded
  • Cons:It rained quite a bit when we were there
  • Last visit to North Carolina: Jul 2000
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2011

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Thank you for visiting my Honduras page. I was almost ready to go to NC later this month (8h drive from home), but I'm going to see my parents in France instead... Great page, though.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Very interesting tips on a state I have never been to. I have always found it fascinating that the Wright Brothers were bicycle mechanics and that this had a great influence on their development of the first powered aircraft.

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 7:58 PM

gr8 information on blue ridge parkway and nearby attractions. great pictures too. we hope to be here in the last week of august 2009.

• cnango's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 5:40 PM

What a gr8 informative page on North Carolina where my Cherokee granpa was born. Those white sand beaches are stunning. Awesome bear pics.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Gorgeous views from your room at the Pisgah Inn : )

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2007 at 1:18 AM

Lovely page Sarah! We are visiting NC in December, and so far know we are going to Blowing Rock... itinerary left up to brother! Gatwick straight to Charlotte??? Now that is interesting!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Sarah, gorgeous page with very interesting and helpful info. I especially like the photo of the big black fluffy bear and your tip about the Wright Brothers National Memorial. Keep up the good work ... :-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Ah Sarah wild flowers & wild life what a combination = enjoyed my virtual tour of North Carolina

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 4:59 AM

Awesome main pic Sarah, as you captured the essence of the Smoky Mountains. Blue Ridge Parkway is indeed a wonderful way to see the area. Hans & I also visited Cherokee & enjoyed our stay there. The Indian Mounds certainly intrique me.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 8:42 AM

Wonderful summary, Sarah :-)) I really like this Grandfather Mountain, where I could see sweet baby bears without being killed by mom (as a fence would protect me, lol). A wonderful part of US, I think, a bit overlooked by most travellers, sadly.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in North Carolina

Have you been to North Carolina?

Latest Activity in North Carolina