"Blue mountains and sandy shores" Top 5 Page for this destination North Carolina by toonsarah
North Carolina Travel Guide: 4,867 reviews and 10,570 photos
And while the central part of the state has few obvious attractions, the city of Charlotte is well-placed as a transport hub (with direct and competitively priced flights from the UK) and has an attractive, compact downtown area.
There are also some interesting towns to visit - we particularly liked Wilmington in the south east of the state.
We combined our driving tour here with a few days in Virginia to the north which allowed us to add some fascinating historical destinations to our itinerary and ensured a varied and well-paced tour.
We were there back in July 2000 and I’m writing this in early 2007, so I should warn you that some things will have changed. However I’ve checked through the internet that all the things I’m recommending are still there, and the prices I quote are the up-to-date ones based on that research. But if anyone has been more recently and spots any mistakes, I’d be glad to hear from you and to make the corrections.
- Pros:Beautiful and varied scenery, not too crowded
- Cons:It rained quite a bit when we were there
You won't need any fancy clothes here (unless you plan on staying in a very upmarket hotel) but you do need to pack... more travel advice
Atlantic Beach is pretty much a standard beach resort and for us had less appeal than the laid-back atmosphere of... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
North Carolina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Carolina"
- "Blue mountains and sandy shores"
- "Carolina in my mind"
- "OBX (Outer Banks) to Great Smoky"
- "North Carolina , my second favorite State"
- "North Carolina Beaches"
- "North Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Carolina
- Hotels in North Carolina
- Transportation in North Carolina
- Nightlife in North Carolina
- Restaurants in North Carolina
- Shopping in North Carolina
- Warnings and Dangers in North Carolina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Carolina
- 41 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (163)
Have you been to North Carolina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Carolina
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 725 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 130 reviews, 332 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue