"Yes, I remember ..." Adlestrop by toonsarah

Adlestrop Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 9 photos

Street in Adlestrop

Adlestrop is for me one of the loveliest of Cotswold villages, made all the lovelier because very few people seem to know it or come here, despite the fact that it features in a well-known English poem

There is perhaps not much of note here, but that is part of its charm. A sleepy village street, lined with chocolate-box-pretty cottages; a thatched village shop still surviving when many in the country have sadly closed; a small green and a cricket pitch.

This is the England that someone who has never been here might conjure up from old movies, thinking that most of us live in just such a place (although in fact only 80 people inhabit this tiny village).

If you have an image of a perfect English village in your head and want to bring it to life, Adlestrop could be the place for you.

For more about this pretty area of England, please visit my Gloucestershire page, from which these tips are an extract.

• Pros:Chocolate-box England to perfection
  • Cons:So quiet there's not even a pub!
  • Last visit to Adlestrop: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 7:55 AM

Hello, Sarah! Thanks for your presentation of that beautiful immortalized place....

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Slightly modified: Yes. I remember Adlestrop— The name, because one afternoon in summer we drew up there. Wontedly. It was late July. Thanks dear Sarah and Chris for having taken me there :-)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Lovely, lovely page!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Yes, this does look like a quintessential Englishy village -- except for the lack of a pub, of course.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Ahhh, Claus beat me here! :o) Mmm, lovely green countryside Sarah. Bit different to where I live :o) Hugs xx

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Really nice countryside photos Sarah.

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Adlestrop

Have you been to Adlestrop?

Latest Activity in Adlestrop