"A castle by the sea" Bamburgh by toonsarah

Bamburgh Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 47 photos

One of the grandest sights on the Northumbrian coastline is that of Bamburgh Castle. It is a view that I never tire of.

The castle stands on a massive outcrop of rock and towers over the sands below. Unlike many castles on this coast, it is still a family home, and thus far more complete than the ruins elsewhere. It is truly an impressive sight.

There has been a castle at Bamburgh since the sixth century, when the site was chosen as the Royal capital by the kings of Northumbria. The present castle dates from Norman times, though it has been much restored and added to over the years, most extensively during the 18th and 19th centuries.

But there is more to Bamburgh than its castle, dominant though that is. There are wonderful beaches that even on the sunniest of summer days are relatively uncrowded, and in winter are almost deserted. There is an excellent museum devoted to local heroine, Grace Darling (this has just been expanded and modernised, so I will add a tip when we get round to revisiting).

Add some quaint old cottages and a sprinkling of tea shops, pubs and gift-shops, and you can see that it is a great place to spend a day, or to use as a base for a holiday in this lovely region of England.

• Pros:Stunning beach, impressive castle
  • Cons:The sea is chilly
  • In a nutshell:One of my favourite places in Northumberland
  • Last visit to Bamburgh: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM

What a wonderful area! That Castle is massive. I imagine some great views from it of the surrounding area, plus I like the view looking towards it. So much to keep me happy here!

Jul 8, 2014 at 1:45 AM

I reckon it's one of the most impressive castles in England - the setting by the sea just adds to the drama! Thanks for visiting here Dee

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Hi Sarah, The castle looks impressive and it has a long history. Lucky that rich people can afford to keep it in good condition.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Thanks for checking out my little page. Most of the money that keeps it open probably comes from the paying visitors these days - it's the only way most of Britain's castles and stately homes can survive!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Another place to add to my list of places to visit. Sounds nice to take a long walk on the beach and than have a coffe and cake at the Copper Kettle. And the castle looks impressive.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Thank you for stopping by - yes, it's a super place for a walk and a coffee :-)

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Hi Sarah, what a nice little page! The castle looks stunning, and the Copper Kettle looks like a wonderful place to have a break :-) And then of course the beaches, wow!!!

Sep 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Thank you for stopping by - glad you liked this glimpse of Bamburgh

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I would also love to visit here! Sounds just great!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Sarah, lovely little page about this gem on the Northumbrian coastline. I really have to visit this part of England some time in the future.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Thanks Holger - you should certainly pay Northumberland a visit, as I know you would like it - and take in a match at St James' Park too ;-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

If I were a film producer I would also want to film here. Who needs a plausible screenplay when you have such a massive castle dominating the landscape?

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:34 AM

I know - it's the perfect backdrop, isn't it? Thanks for stopping by to visit Bamburgh :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Wow, this castle is impressive! It must be marvellous to live there with this wind and the possibility to be so close to beach and beach vegetation :-) And Copper Kettle sounds good! Did you know that many German restaurants are also called like this? Kupferkessel :-)

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Thank you Ingrid. Yes, this is a "wow" place for sure - I think you would like it! I love Bamburgh, even though generally I like more romantically ruined castles :-) And yes, I've come across the odd Kupferkessel I think ;-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Bamburgh

Have you been to Bamburgh?

Latest Activity in Bamburgh