"A castle by the sea" Top 5 Page for this destination Bamburgh by toonsarah
Bamburgh Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 56 photos
The castle stands on a massive outcrop of rock and towers over the sands below. Unlike many castles on this coast, it is still a family home, and thus far more complete than the ruins elsewhere. It is truly an impressive sight.
There has been a castle at Bamburgh since the sixth century, when the site was chosen as the Royal capital by the kings of Northumbria. The present castle dates from Norman times, though it has been much restored and added to over the years, most extensively during the 18th and 19th centuries.
But there is more to Bamburgh than its castle, dominant though that is. There are wonderful beaches that even on the sunniest of summer days are relatively uncrowded, and in winter are almost deserted. There is an excellent museum devoted to local heroine, Grace Darling (this has just been expanded and modernised, so I will add a tip when we get round to revisiting).
Add some quaint old cottages and a sprinkling of tea shops, pubs and gift-shops, and you can see that it is a great place to spend a day, or to use as a base for a holiday in this lovely region of England.
- Pros:Stunning beach, impressive castle
- Cons:The sea is chilly
- In a nutshell:One of my favourite places in Northumberland
If you have time for only one day trip while visiting Bamburgh, this should be it! Holy Island, or Lindisfarne, is, in... more travel advice
This has to be one of the most glorious beaches in England! A wide expanse of sand over which the castle watches... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Bamburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A castle by the sea"
- "Beautiful Bamburgh"
- "Start of the Journey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bamburgh
- Restaurants in Bamburgh
- Warnings and Dangers in Bamburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bamburgh
- 4 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (174)
Have you been to Bamburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bamburgh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 725 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 133 reviews, 344 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue