"An afternoon in Bath" Top 5 Page for this destination Bath by toonsarah

Bath Travel Guide: 911 reviews and 2,001 photos

Roman Baths: the Sacred Spring

My work recently took me back to Bath after many years, and as it’s always been one of my favourite English cities I took an extra afternoon to explore and take photos for VT.

In just a few hours I was able to revisit some favourite parts of the city and discover one or two new treasures too. The weather (in early March) was rather dull, as reflected in my photos, but nevertheless I hope you’ll enjoy exploring Bath with me.

To take a walk through Bath is to uncover many layers of English history, but the two very different periods that dominate are the Roman and the Regency eras. The main sight from the former are the magnificent baths, recently restored as a tourist attraction and worth a visit to the city for themselves alone.

But my own enthusiasm is for Regency Bath, developed over many years enjoying the novels of Jane Austen and the under-rated Georgette Heyer. Very many fine town-houses remain from that period, built in honey-coloured Bath stone, and their harmonious appearance gives the city its unique character.

The city is still very much as Jane Austen knew it, with its streets, public buildings and townscapes retaining much of the elegant well-ordered world that she portrays in her novels. You can walk where she walked and experience many of the places she would have seen. Among the streets she lived in on her several visits are Queen Square (where my hotel was located), Gay Street, Sydney Place and Trim Street. She would have shopped in Milsom Street and borrowed books from the Circulating Library there, taken the waters at the Pump Room, danced at the Assembly Rooms and enjoyed music and fireworks in Sydney Gardens.

And while Jane was no fan of the city, I myself think that she would be pleased to see that some small element of her world still remains here for us to enjoy.

• In a nutshell:"Who can ever be tired of Bath?” (Catherine Morland in Northanger Abbey)
  • Last visit to Bath: Mar 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2011 at 2:11 AM

What a wonderful page with so much information, and so well written! I really can't wait to go to Bath!!! I start reading "Persuasion" today, and your page really got me in the right frame of mind :-)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2011 at 4:55 AM

Thoroughly enjoyed my virtual tour of Bath. I know I would enjoy walking around this lovely town. The "Bath" buns sound delish as does dining at Jamie's Italian. I love watching Jamie cook on the Food Channel.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Thank you for visiting my Mississippi page... truly a world away from Bath! Your pages are always so thorough and well done. I wish you many visitors - and much travel.

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2011 at 1:47 AM

What a nice page, Sarah! I'd like to visit Bath, one day. But first I should read sth from Jane, I suppose ;-) Thanks for sharing!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2010 at 4:56 AM

I agree with you, Sarah: this is where you can feel the perfect harmony....

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 3:32 AM

Great page. It certainly captures the essence of the city. Cheers, John.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM

D would love the Jane Austen walks. I must admit I came looking for the pubs but I think a Bath Bun will tide me over. ;)

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2009 at 1:53 AM

Hi Sarah, what a lovely page! Well-deserving of a top 5 rank. A friend of mine studied in Bath & tells me how much she loved it. Maybe I'll visit one day, but for now I'm still expanding my knowledge, trips and travel on Scotland again this summer :-)

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Your page brought back so many memories. I've been to Bath twice so far and after reading your impressions I'm ready for a third visit. Thank you.

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 11:07 AM

How lucky you were to be able to visit Bath for a business trip! Superb information and restaurant tips and so beautifully written! I'd love to return to Bath, and visit the Jane Austin Centre. I wish some sunshine could be arranged though!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Bath