"Queen of the Suburbs" Top 5 Page for this destination Ealing by toonsarah
Ealing Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 172 photos
Neither countryside nor city, it has some of the benefits of both (and, it has to be said, some of the downsides of both too). There are plenty of restaurants and pubs to suit all tastes, reasonable shops, a cinema (currently closed) and other facilities – and there are also several parks and lots of trees, giving the town a greenness that you don’t always find in other parts of the city.
Although this area has been inhabited for thousands of years, Ealing really came into its own in the nineteenth century, when the Great Western Railway company opened a station at Ealing Broadway.
The suburb mushroomed from a sleepy back-water into what the Victorians crowned the “Queen of the Suburbs”, and most of the houses here (including ours) date from that period. You can read more about the history of Ealing in my General tip.
Off the beaten path: The Ealing Club and the Old fire station in South Ealing
Restaurants: Chimichanga and some new coffee shops
Local customs: a Midsummer Fayre
Nightlife: Summer festivals in Walpole Park
Things to do: See the Town Hall and St Mary’s Church
Transport: Bike hire and parking in Ealing Broadway [a tip for my VT friend Don]
- Pros:Green spaces, lots of facilities
- Cons:The same as any other urban area, I guess
- In a nutshell:Still the Queen of the Suburbs?
In 2013 an old tradition was revived in Ealing – a Midsummer Fayre on the Green. This event had not been held for over... more travel advice
Near St Mary’s Church in South Ealing is a small square, St Mary’s Square, which today is bisected by busy South Ealing... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Ealing Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Queen of the Suburbs"
- "west suburb of Greater London"
- "Out of Ealing"
- "The 1st Ealing Page"
- "Queen of the Boroughs"
- "THE LONDON BOROUGH OF EALING -"
- "West London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ealing
- Hotels in Ealing
- Transportation in Ealing
- Nightlife in Ealing
- Restaurants in Ealing
- Shopping in Ealing
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ealing
- 48 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (108)
Have you been to Ealing?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ealing
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 191 reviews, 539 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 108 reviews, 250 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos