"A city and its river" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne by toonsarah
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide: 870 reviews and 1,757 photos
A walk along the Quayside will reveal striking bridges, cultural venues such as the Sage music centre and Baltic art gallery, as well as plenty of pubs and bars.
But the city has another heart, its football club, and that is where my love affair with Newcastle began. If you want to support a club with guarantees of success and a trophy cabinet packed with silverware, look elsewhere. Supporting Newcastle United is about passion and about solidarity - solidarity with your team, your fellow fans and your city.
Check out my travelogue to see what I mean!
Elsewhere in Newcastle you'll find elegant streets such as Grey Street, good shopping, restaurants, pubs and bars, and a wealth of cultural attractions.
And if you tire of the city you're only a short ride by Metro from the coast, or an easy drive or bus ride from some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain.
I visit here regularly, as my husband is a Geordie (native of Newcastle) and we have many relatives and friends here. I update this page regularly - most recent updates below:
January 2015 updates:
Great Coffee - coffee on the Quayside
High Level Bridge
Local Heroes (Quayside walk of fame)
Stoll Picture Theatre
October 2014 updates:
Revolution (a bar with good food)
Prima Italian restaurant
August 2014 updates:
Great North Museum: Hancock
The Renwick Memorial
The Biscuit Factory - art gallery
The Blacksmiths’ Needle
9 Bar - great little coffee shop
City Tavern - a pub for dog lovers
Free Trade Inn
- Pros:A warm welcome in a beautiful lively city
- Cons:The wind can be a bit sharp, especially for this soft southerner!
- In a nutshell:Toon, Toon, Black & White Army!
Byker is a suburb just to the east of the city centre. Like many of Newcastle’s outlying districts it was developed in... more travel advice
This is another distinctive and historic building. It was built in 1867 as the Tyne Theatre and Opera House in an... more travel advice
- See All Great location, very good coffee
- See All A good night's sleep
- See All Views of the Tyne
- See All Sandgate
toonsarah's Related Pages
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A city and its river"
- "Many Bridges To Cross"
- "It's a different land"
- "The Toon"
- "Newcastle upon Tyne Page"
- "Love at first sight!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Transportation in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Nightlife in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Shopping in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle upon Tyne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle upon Tyne
- 127 Reviews
- 321 Photos
- 20 Forum posts
- 54 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Newcastle upon Tyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Who made a mess of the..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "A city's guardian angel"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Newcastle upon Tyne tips
- updated a Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Page "A city and its river"
- Wrote a Review The Byker Wall about Byker Wall in Newcastle upon Tyne Off The Beaten Path
Photos in Newcastle upon TyneSee All Photos (321)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 127 reviews, 321 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos