"A city and its river" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne by toonsarah
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide: 829 reviews and 1,629 photos
A walk along the Quayside will reveal striking bridges, cultural venues such as the Sage music centre and Baltic art gallery, as well as plenty of pubs and bars.
But the city has another heart, its football club, and that is where my love affair with Newcastle began. If you want to support a club with guarantees of success and a trophy cabinet packed with silverware, look elsewhere. Supporting Newcastle United is about passion and about solidarity - solidarity with your team, your fellow fans and your city.
Check out my travelogue to see what I mean!
Elsewhere in Newcastle you'll find elegant streets such as Grey Street, good shopping, restaurants, pubs and bars, and a wealth of cultural attractions.
And if you tire of the city you're only a short ride by Metro from the coast, or an easy drive or bus ride from some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain.
I visit here regularly, as my husband is a Geordie (native of Newcastle) and we have many relatives and friends here. I'm aiming to update the page regularly and will note here when I do so:
November 2013 updates:
Jury's Inn Newcastle
Ottoman Restaurant, a great value Turkish restaurant in the centre of town
Da Mimmo's, an unpretentious family-run Italian restaurant
Scrumpy Willow and the Singing Kettle, a good choice for vegetarians
the Settle Down Cafe
the Quayside Sunday Market, a Newcastle institution
September 2013 updates:
Marconi House, a great accommodation find
Dabbawal Indian restaurant
a beach on the Tyne
Popolo, a great bar for cocktails and more
March 2013 updates:
Sir Bobby Robson memorial
Jackie Milburn statue
Marco Polo Italian restaurant
January 2013 updates:
Alison's Apartments - Sallyport House
Caffe Vivo - a super new restaurant find!
- Pros:A warm welcome in a beautiful lively city
- Cons:The wind can be a bit sharp, especially for this soft southerner!
- In a nutshell:Toon, Toon, Black & White Army!
This café, surprisingly large and slightly rough around the edges in terms of décor (think recycled furniture and... more travel advice
We have spotted this cosy-looking café on previous visits to Newcastle but only recently got round to going inside. It... more travel advice
- See All You'll know you're in a party city!
- See All Visit Chinatown
- See All New York meets Italy meets Tyneside!
- See All Local hero: wor Jackie
toonsarah's Related Pages
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A city and its river"
- "Many Bridges To Cross"
- "It's a different land"
- "The Toon"
- "Newcastle upon Tyne Page"
- "Love at first sight!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Transportation in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Nightlife in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Shopping in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle upon Tyne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle upon Tyne
- 107 Reviews
- 245 Photos
- 16 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Newcastle upon Tyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: gatwick to center after 23.00"
- updated a Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Page "A city and its river"
- Wrote a Review Friendly faded comfort in Newcastle upon Tyne Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Friendly faded comfort"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Newcastle upon Tyne tips
Photos in Newcastle upon TyneSee All Photos (245)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos