"A city and its river" Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne by toonsarah
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide: 909 reviews and 1,906 photos
A walk along the Quayside will reveal striking bridges, cultural venues such as the Sage music centre and Baltic art gallery, as well as plenty of pubs and bars.
But the city has another heart, its football club, and that is where my love affair with Newcastle began. If you want to support a club with guarantees of success and a trophy cabinet packed with silverware, look elsewhere. Supporting Newcastle United is about passion and about solidarity - solidarity with your team, your fellow fans and your city.
Check out my travelogue to see what I mean!
Elsewhere in Newcastle you'll find elegant streets such as Grey Street, good shopping, restaurants, pubs and bars, and a wealth of cultural attractions.
And if you tire of the city you're only a short ride by Metro from the coast, or an easy drive or bus ride from some of the most beautiful countryside in Britain.
I visit here regularly, as my husband is a Geordie (native of Newcastle) and we have many relatives and friends here. I update this page regularly - most recent updates below:
May 2016 updates:
Motel One - a new city-centre hotel
Centurion Bar at the Central Station
Newcastle Arts Centre
April 2016 updates:
Jacobin apartment - near Blackfriars
The Stand bistro
Centre for Life - a child-friendly science museum
The Discovery Museum
The Vampire Rabbit - a Newcastle curiousity
January 2016 updates:
Pandongate House - another lovely holiday let apartment
Catpawcino - a new cat café
dAt bAr - quirky bar/restaurant
May 2015 updates:
The Broad Chare - gastropub
Statue of William L Blenkinsop Coulson, a local benefactor
The Sailor's Bethel, an unusual-looking chapel
January 2015 updates:
Great Coffee - coffee on the Quayside
High Level Bridge
Local Heroes (Quayside walk of fame)
Stoll Picture Theatre
- Pros:A warm welcome in a beautiful lively city
- Cons:The wind can be a bit sharp, especially for this soft southerner!
- In a nutshell:Toon, Toon, Black & White Army!
I was not sure whether to put this as a shop (which it is, in part), café (ditto) or a Thing to Do (it has a gallery... more travel advice
First things first - despite the name, this is not a motel but a hotel. There are no parking facilities at all, but... more travel advice
- See All Discovery Museum
- See All Comedy club café
- See All Sandgate
- See All Local hero: wor Jackie
toonsarah's Related Pages
Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A city and its river"
- "Many Bridges To Cross"
- "It's a different land"
- "The Toon"
- "Newcastle upon Tyne Page"
- "Love at first sight!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Hotels in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Transportation in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Nightlife in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Shopping in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Warnings and Dangers in Newcastle upon Tyne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Newcastle upon Tyne
- 141 Reviews
- 377 Photos
- 24 Forum posts
- 55 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (239)
Have you been to Newcastle upon Tyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Newcastle upon Tyne
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Best time to visit London"
- updated a Newcastle upon Tyne Travel Page "A city and its river"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A city and its river"
- Wrote a Review Newcastle Arts Centre in Newcastle upon Tyne Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Newcastle upon Tyne travel pages
Photos in Newcastle upon TyneSee All Photos (377)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue