"Rushbearing and other traditional English customs" Top 5 Page for this destination Sowerby Bridge by toonsarah
Sowerby Bridge Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 378 photos
Like many of England’s former industrial towns Sowerby Bridge (which I learnt over the weekend of the Rushbearing Festival to pronounce “Soreby Bridge”) appears to be slowly reinventing itself. Signs of this can be seen in the former engineering works converted to living or small business accommodation, and in the tourist-focused developments around the canal and river.
I came here because of a noteworthy event that takes place here each year on the first weekend in September, the Rushbearing Festival. This is a revival of the ancient custom of bringing fresh rushes, the traditional floor-covering for centuries, to all the churches in the region once a year.
Ricky52’s Rushbearing meetings have become a regular (biennial) fixture on the VT calendar and I was pleased to be able to finally make it to one and see the event for myself, as well as catch up with a number of friends.
To read more about this great tradition, see the festival’s website, or the more extensive pages of other VTers such as:
suvanki’s “Sowerby Bridge, Norland and Triangle –Rushbearing”
Gillybob’s “Sowerby Bridge Rushbearing Festival – 2008”.
I didn’t have time to explore much away from the main street through the town, which is lined with a slightly odd mix of shops (mostly low-priced, basic and somewhat dull, with a few quirky, privately owned gift-shops with an interesting range of goods). There are also a couple of good coffee shops, pubs and a small market.
Before the Rushbearers arrived in Sowerby Bridge we had time for lunch at The Works, a large attractive pub just off the... more travel advice
Sword dancing is a particular form of Morris dancing that (as the name suggests) involves the use of swords. Dancers... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Sowerby Bridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sowerby Bridge, Norland and Triangle -Rushbearing"
- "SOWERBY BRIDGE"
- "Rushbearing and other traditional English customs"
- "Home of the Rushbearing Festival"
- "A favourite VT venue, rightly so."
- "Home to the Rushbearing!"
- "RICKY52 LIVES HERE (KIND OF)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sowerby Bridge
- Hotels in Sowerby Bridge
- Transportation in Sowerby Bridge
- Nightlife in Sowerby Bridge
- Restaurants in Sowerby Bridge
- Shopping in Sowerby Bridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Sowerby Bridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sowerby Bridge
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (237)
Have you been to Sowerby Bridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sowerby Bridge
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Learning the Lingo."
- updated a Sowerby Bridge Travel Page "Rushbearing and other traditional English customs"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's Sowerby Bridge travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Rushbearing and other traditional English customs"
- Wrote a Review Attractive pub environment in Sowerby Bridge Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Sowerby Bridge
Photos in Sowerby BridgeSee All Photos (20)
Videos in Sowerby BridgeSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 233 reviews, 727 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 141 reviews, 377 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 68 reviews, 300 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 56 reviews, 293 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bologna Intro, 55 reviews, 259 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue