"By the Thames in south west London" Top 5 Page for this destination Twickenham by toonsarah

Twickenham Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 99 photos

Footbridge to Eel Pie Island

Twickenham is one of the more desirable (and expensive) of London’s suburbs, lying on its south western fringes. Most famous as the home of the world’s largest rugby stadium, it also has a pretty riverside setting, some very attractive houses, and a few sights to lure visitors out of the capital for the day.

These include Horace Walpole’s gothic extravagance, Strawberry Hill, some pretty parks and gardens, and the fascinating Eel Pie Island.

We recently visited the last of these, so for now this page is largely a holding page with just a couple of tips. We live not far from Twickenham however, so I will try to get back soon and add more information about its other attractions.

• Last visit to Twickenham: Jul 2013
  • Intro Written Jul 20, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM

A nice looking place -- but I'm a bit puzzled by the sunken lawn, which looks rather brown. What's the point of having a sunken lawn, anyway? I mean, what is the advantage of a sunken lawn over an unsunken lawn?

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Aug 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM

The grass was brown because of the dry summer we have had. I'm not sure myself that there are advantages to its being sunken, I think it is just a way of adding interest to the scene. I suspect Capability Brown and other early garden designers may be responsible for the style!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Charming little suburb this is :-) And Eel Pie Island is quite inhabited, compared to the other islands I have seen so far in the Thames.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Lovely little page, Sarah. Your gorgeous photos reveal just the sort of place I'd like to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon -- near a weeping willow tree on the river bank reading Jane Austen!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Jul 27, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Thank you Sylvia. I love Jane Austen, although I have to say this particular location is a bit too popular and busy for a relaxing read!

• starship's Profile Photo
      Jul 27, 2013 at 4:43 AM

A pity!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM

It looks like a delightful way to spend a beautiful day. Nice page Sarah!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Twickenham

Have you been to Twickenham?

Latest Activity in Twickenham