"Lulworth Cove: a slice of time" West Lulworth by toonsarah
West Lulworth Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos
This is a designated World Heritage site, a status achieved because of the area’s unique insight into the Earth Sciences. It gives a clear picture of a geological “walk through time” covering the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. The rocks record 185 million years of the Earth's history, and a visit here is likely to get even the least scientific traveller reaching for a geology text-book, or if not, at least pausing to study the rock formations in awe.
I was fascinated by the geology of the coastline and have written about it in more detail in my general tip. But even if the geology fails to grip you as much as it did me, I’m sure everyone will enjoy the beautiful scenery of this coastline, the cliff walks in the fresh sea air and the pretty village of Lulworth Cove itself.
Unfortunately the Virtual Tourist database doesn’t recognise Lulworth Cove itself as a destination, so I’ve used West Lulworth, about a mile to the north, as the host destination for my tips.
We came to Lulworth as part of a short visit to Dorset. The rest of our time there was spent in and around the pretty village of Corfe Castle, where a much more recent period of history, the English Civil War, can be explored.
- In a nutshell:Wonderful coastal scenery and fresh sea air
Just east of Durdle Door is the beautiful Man of War Bay (also sometimes written “Man O War”) – another of my... more travel advice
The Lulworth Coast is part of the Dorset and East Devon World Heritage Site known as the “Jurassic Coast", although in... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
West Lulworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lulworth Cove: a slice of time"
- "Lulworth Cove"
- "West Lulworth & Lulworth Cove"
- "Lulworth Where Pirates and Dinosaures Used to Roam"
- "Lulworth Cove: a case study of geology in action!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Lulworth
- Hotels in West Lulworth
- Transportation in West Lulworth
- Restaurants in West Lulworth
- Warnings and Dangers in West Lulworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in West Lulworth
- 13 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to West Lulworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Lulworth
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: gatwick to center after 23.00"
- Commented on one of toonsarah's West Lulworth tips
- updated a West Lulworth Travel Page "Lulworth Cove: a slice of time"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lulworth Cove: a slice of time"
- Wrote a Review Man of War Bay in West Lulworth Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos