"Lulworth Cove: a slice of time" West Lulworth by toonsarah

West Lulworth Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos

Lulworth Cove from the cliffs

This stretch of the Dorset coast is famous for its dramatic features, such as Lulworth Cove itself and nearby Durdle Door, at the eastern end of what is known as the Jurassic Coast.

This is a designated World Heritage site, a status achieved because of the area’s unique insight into the Earth Sciences. It gives a clear picture of a geological “walk through time” covering the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. The rocks record 185 million years of the Earth's history, and a visit here is likely to get even the least scientific traveller reaching for a geology text-book, or if not, at least pausing to study the rock formations in awe.

A lesson in geology

I was fascinated by the geology of the coastline and have written about it in more detail in my general tip. But even if the geology fails to grip you as much as it did me, I’m sure everyone will enjoy the beautiful scenery of this coastline, the cliff walks in the fresh sea air and the pretty village of Lulworth Cove itself.

Unfortunately the Virtual Tourist database doesn’t recognise Lulworth Cove itself as a destination, so I’ve used West Lulworth, about a mile to the north, as the host destination for my tips.

We came to Lulworth as part of a short visit to Dorset. The rest of our time there was spent in and around the pretty village of Corfe Castle, where a much more recent period of history, the English Civil War, can be explored.

~~~o~~~

• In a nutshell:Wonderful coastal scenery and fresh sea air
  • Last visit to West Lulworth: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I see you have visited my part of the world.:)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Sarah, thanks for your tips on this amazing location on the English coast! I've taken in a lot of sights in Cornwall (where Sue's parents & sister live) but regret not having taken the time to see this awesome nearby destination. Loved your photos of Durdle Door!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2011 at 1:02 AM

Wow, this looks like a wonderful place, and you have described it so well! Thank you, it's on my list now :-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 1:34 AM

Hello again, Sarah! Your pages full of great stories and pictures are amazing! ><><><><

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 11:52 PM

How gorgeous is Lulworth! I love these little villages. And yes the Doll's house is fantastic. Thanks, great pages.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2010 at 12:24 AM

You have done a great job with descriptions and photo's of this lovely area. Man of war bay looks so pretty, the coast very interesting, and the Doll's house is a real cutie! Lovely!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2009 at 8:20 AM

The Doll House is adorable and that coatline is stunning! Ok, ice cream gets a thumbs up in my book anyday! Wonderful page Sarah, enjoyed the geology information.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 4:05 AM

What a wonderful area full of scenic beaches. Esp liked Stair Hole, Durdle Door and Man of War Bay. Your crab hot-pot sounds delish. Reminds me of the crabmeat soup in sourdough bread in San Francisco.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 3:56 AM

I enjoyed looking at your fine photos and reading the texts, especially the geology parts. I never got past Geomorphology 101 in college, I'm afraid, but I continue to be interested especially in places like this that have so much geology exposed to view.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Nicely described impressive geology, Sarah! Good to read a bit of explanations about landscapes and forms, in VT, not only “beautiful”, breathtaking”, etc. . . . I enjoyed!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in West Lulworth

Have you been to West Lulworth?

Latest Activity in West Lulworth