"Venue for Euromeet 2009" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais by toonsarah
Cascais Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 2,321 photos
There is an appealing blend of authentic local life and tourist-focused facilities. Fishing boats bob in the harbour just offshore from the town beach, locals shop or chat in doorways in the winding back lanes just a stone’s throw from the busy restaurants in Luís de Camões Square, traditional houses decorated with azulejos panels sit almost side by side with fashionable shops.
Spend your day strolling those same back lanes, following the path beside the sea to the rocky scenery of the Boca do Inferno, eating ice cream at the historic Santini gelataria or freshly caught fish and seafood in the open-air restaurants, browsing the shops or simply relaxing on the beach or in a friendly bar.
There are no major sights, apart from the afore-mentioned Boca do Inferno and a citadel currently (May 2009) being restored to be opened up to the public, so there is no pressure to pack a lot into your day.
And if you’re more of a beach person than a city one you might even consider staying here, especially if you like your beaches small, local and part of a town or village rather than the more remote resort hotel type. There are certainly plenty of accommodation choices, with something to suit every budget and taste.
I came here for the great 2009 VT Euromeeting and was very happy that it had brought me to a place I may otherwise never have discovered (being usually more of a city person than a beach one!)
I had a wonderful time at the VT meeting (thank you to our Portuguese hosts and meeting organisers!) If you were there too you can relive the meeting through my travelogues, or experience it virtually if you weren't able to join us.
- In a nutshell:A lovely little town only a stone's throw from Lisbon
A few miles west of Cascais you come to the westernmost point of continental Europe, the Cabo da Roca, described by... more travel advice
Although very much now a resort town, as well as an affluent commuter town for nearby Lisbon, Cascais still shows many... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Cascais Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CASCAIS - THE COAST OF KINGS"
- "Delightful Fishing Village On The Atlantic Coast"
- "VTers Cascade into Cascais"
- "Venue for Euromeet 2009"
- "Cascais, (Euromeet 2009)"
- "Spectacular Cascais"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cascais
- Hotels in Cascais
- Transportation in Cascais
- Nightlife in Cascais
- Restaurants in Cascais
- Shopping in Cascais
- Warnings and Dangers in Cascais
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cascais
- 15 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (115)
Have you been to Cascais?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cascais
Photos in CascaisSee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 222 reviews, 688 photos, 15 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 120 reviews, 288 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 67 reviews, 279 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Intro, 46 reviews, 247 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn Intro, 49 reviews, 213 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos