"Venue for Euromeet 2009" Top 5 Page for this destination Cascais by toonsarah

Cascais Travel Guide: 452 reviews and 2,321 photos

If you fancy a change from the busy streets and noise of Lisbon, why not take a day trip to Cascais? Only just over thirty minutes away by train, this little town has plenty to offer.

There is an appealing blend of authentic local life and tourist-focused facilities. Fishing boats bob in the harbour just offshore from the town beach, locals shop or chat in doorways in the winding back lanes just a stone’s throw from the busy restaurants in Luís de Camões Square, traditional houses decorated with azulejos panels sit almost side by side with fashionable shops.

Spend your day strolling those same back lanes, following the path beside the sea to the rocky scenery of the Boca do Inferno, eating ice cream at the historic Santini gelataria or freshly caught fish and seafood in the open-air restaurants, browsing the shops or simply relaxing on the beach or in a friendly bar.

There are no major sights, apart from the afore-mentioned Boca do Inferno and a citadel currently (May 2009) being restored to be opened up to the public, so there is no pressure to pack a lot into your day.

And if you’re more of a beach person than a city one you might even consider staying here, especially if you like your beaches small, local and part of a town or village rather than the more remote resort hotel type. There are certainly plenty of accommodation choices, with something to suit every budget and taste.

I came here for the great 2009 VT Euromeeting and was very happy that it had brought me to a place I may otherwise never have discovered (being usually more of a city person than a beach one!)

I had a wonderful time at the VT meeting (thank you to our Portuguese hosts and meeting organisers!) If you were there too you can relive the meeting through my travelogues, or experience it virtually if you weren't able to join us.

• In a nutshell:A lovely little town only a stone's throw from Lisbon
  • Last visit to Cascais: May 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2014 at 5:16 PM

What a wonderful page you have written Sarah! I have enjoyed every moment of my virtual tour, only wish I could one day come and see the real thing!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Mar 19, 2014 at 2:22 AM

Thanks Dee. You should consider it for your next visit to Europe. Lisbon is a delightful city and Cascais only a short distance away by train. Or you could hire a car and drive around Portugal - there are some wonderful places to stay in the old palaces. Some friends of ours did a driving tour some years ago and we mean to do the same one day :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Looks like a great venue for a VT meeting. Too bad I was not able to attend. My one visit to that area was 49 years ago, when I toured Spain and Portugal by bicycle, but I never quite made it to Cascais. I stayed for several days in Caxias, which is just up the road, and used that as a base for exploring Lisbon.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I wish I had been there for the VT-meeting last year! Looks like you had a fun time.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Ah Sarah lucky girl = you were in fine company to explore Cascais = all looks great here!

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2009 at 4:37 AM

Now WHERE did those "huggy bears" appear from ??? As if we did not know ^O^ Martin

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2009 at 3:59 AM

Sarah, you have built a wonderful page on Cascais. I love the travelogues. You captured the fun time we all had there. And yes, Cascais was the absolute perfect place for home base. I know Hans & I sure enjoyed our time here.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Hi Sarah....just dropped by again. Wow!...you've really done well matey!! And I learn't a lot too from your great tips!! Love the meet pix!! Hugs, Ann xx

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Now I regret I did not take more time to explore it. I would enjoy taking a walk in the back streets admiring beautiful azulejos and little details. I decided to spend the last day of my recent trip in Cascais, relaxing on a tiny Praia da Rainha :)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 3:29 AM

Good to see you squeezed in quite a bit of sightseeing (and some lemon gelati!) while at the VT meet, Sarah. I am getting intrigued with Portugal. D thanks you. ;)

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM

What a wonderful VT-meeting you had, Sarah! I envy you and hope will join the company one day....

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Cascais

Have you been to Cascais?

Latest Activity in Cascais