"A few hours in the city" Reykjavík by toonsarah

Reykjavík Travel Guide: 931 reviews and 3,108 photos

Typical Reykjavik houses

Our original plan was to spend all our time in rural Iceland, exploring the landscape and hoping to see the Northern Lights. But when we realised that we would be driving right past Reykjavik to get from the airport to our hotel, it seemed crazy not to stop off for a few hours to explore.

With so little time to spend here, and with the bonus of a crisp sunny winter’s day, we decided to focus on a few sights in and near the oldest part of the city – the harbour, the colourful houses of Grjótaþorpið, the Tjörnin Pond, and the imposing Hallgrimskirkja.

We also found time for a super little VT meeting with local member Regina1965 and her fiancé. Regina had helped me a lot in making plans for this trip and it was a real pleasure to meet her in person. Thanks Regina!

After just a few hours here it was time to leave, as we wanted to reach our hotel before darkness fell. We were sorry not to have seen more of Reykjavik, but more adventures awaited us, which you can read about on my South Iceland page.

If you would like to follow our short time in Reykjavik in the same order that we did, you can do so by starting with my first tip, Parking in the city, and following the links in each tip. Or of course you can simply work through each section as you choose!

• In a nutshell:So glad we took the diversion!
  • Last visit to Reykjavík: Feb 2012
  • Intro Updated Mar 10, 2012

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Wasn't even an enjoyable cruise, raining, dressed up in rubber suits. And I'm pretty sure they have a mechanical fin set up so that they can say you saw part of a whale ;-)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Good to see the Hallgrimskirkja without scaffolding! Somehow the horizons looks better with the snow covered mountains than in summer :-)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Enjoyed your page Sarah, a fantastic photo from the top of the Church. Thanks for the tour of a city so far from where I live and most likely will never visit.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Sarah, fabulous page with outstanding photos of Reykjavik, which is one of teh very few western European capitals I haven't visited yet. I especially like teh gorgeous views from the Hallgrimskirkja.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Nice, informative page. We find it hard to pay for parking, as here, most parking spots are free. I too love the bright coloured houses, the view from the tower is marvellous, and the sculpture on the seat is always a favorite of mine!

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Hi Sarah, a wonderful page about your short visit to Reykjavik - it seems that you used the time you had very well, and saw some beautiful things! I also like that you mentioned some of the things you would have liked to do if you had more time - the viking place, and of course a whale watching trip!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Sarah, judging from your tips it looks like you really enjoyed your short but action-packed trip to Reykjavik! It is an OTBP place that I have always wanted to visit too. Loved your tip on the impressive Hallgrimskirkja and the views from it's tower!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2012 at 10:45 PM

What a lovely day you had in Reykjavik. And great that you could meet with Regina while there.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Good that you stopped off in Reykjavik after all, and even got to meet Regina. The winter light was really great for your photos.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Wow, it's been almost 30 years since we visited Iceland, so your photos bring back some memories I had forgotten. But I definitely remember lace curtains in nearly every window! AND the pond!

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík

Have you been to Reykjavík?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík