"A happy accident" Top 5 Page for this destination Ancona by toonsarah
Ancona Travel Guide: 127 reviews and 367 photos
An unprepossessing area round the station was left behind as we boarded a bus that took us to a very different part of town – wide avenues, grand squares with shady trees and statues of imposing figures, a promenade by the sea and (best of all by far) a higgledy piggledy maze of streets in the old town that led us up and up to the wonderfully located Duomo overlooking the ferry port. Glowing golden in the magical light of a late afternoon sun, it was a fitting place to end a lovely week in Italy’s beautiful Umbria and Marche regions
Ancona was built on two hills in the 4th century BC by Greek colonists from Syracuse. Later, the Romans made use of its sheltered anchorage and in 115 AD, under the Emperor Trajan, created the present harbour walls. A ceremonial marble arch named for Trajan still stands at the end of the docks to mark his achievement, though we didn’t have time to visit this, only seeing it from the distance.
In the Middle Ages it was something of a battleground between German Emperors and the Venetian Republic, and was never able to assert itself as the powerful maritime republic it might otherwise have become. More recently it has suffered significant bombing in the Second World War, and a major earthquake in 1972.
Despite all this, enough of the historical city remains, and its hilly setting around the busy harbour give it a special character and charm. This is a busy, working port and a lived-in city, and all the more appealing for that.
I might not make a special journey to visit Ancona, but I would certainly enjoy spending more time here in the future should I be in the area, and I’d recommend adding a day here to any itinerary in the Marche region if possible.
I have arranged my tips on this page in an order that will enable you to follow us on our walk through the city. So please start with my first tip flying to Ancona.
- In a nutshell:Much more character than you might expect from first appearances
On my most recent visit to Marche I flew with Lufthansa from London Heathrow via Munich. Although, to say "with... more travel advice
To get around Ancona we used what seemed to be an efficient bus service, although we only used the one route. The... more travel advice
toonsarah's Related Pages
Ancona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A happy accident"
- "Ancona - Forgotten city on the Adriatic"
- "Ancona, a door open on the Adriatic"
- "Ancona - daytrip to an important harbour town"
- "Ancona - back in the base..."
- "FinElina's new Ancona Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ancona
- Hotels in Ancona
- Transportation in Ancona
- Nightlife in Ancona
- Restaurants in Ancona
- Shopping in Ancona
- Warnings and Dangers in Ancona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ancona
- 13 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (107)
Have you been to Ancona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ancona
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 189 reviews, 521 photos, 13 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle upon Tyne Intro, 107 reviews, 245 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York City Intro, 77 reviews, 226 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gubbio Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galápagos Islands Intro, 49 reviews, 197 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sibiu Intro, 34 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 45 reviews, 172 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 52 reviews, 155 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bergamo Intro, 42 reviews, 161 photos
- Lisbon Intro, 42 reviews, 144 photos