"Perched among the vineyards" Top 5 Page for this destination Corniglia by toonsarah

Corniglia Travel Guide: 85 reviews and 240 photos

Corniglia seen from a passing ferry

Corniglia is unusual among the five Cinque Terre villages in having no harbour – or rather, no harbour of any reasonable size. There is a very small one far below the village used only by locals, but visitors must arrive on foot or by train, and climb the steep Lardarina, a long flight of steps made from brick, to reach the village perched high on the hill.

The village itself is compact, and to me appeared to look in on itself rather than, as the others do, looking out to the deep blue sea into which they seem always on the verge of tumbling.

We spent less time here than in some of the other villages, and liked it less. Not that it isn’t lovely and full of interesting corners, but its small size made it harder to escape the summer crowds than in, say, Riomagiore or Vernazza, which are visited by many more people but are large enough to have quieter corners even in the height of the season. If Corniglia has some of these too, we failed to find them. But nevertheless we enjoyed the pretty town square and the views from the belvedere, and would certainly come back at a cooler, less busy time of the year.

Visiting the Cinque Terre

As Riomaggiore is where we stayed, I have put all of my tips about the region as a whole there, rather than repeat all of them five times, so please visit that page to find out more about the beautiful Cinque Terre.

• Last visit to Corniglia: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2011

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Another lovely Italian village. I really like the view from the ferry and found those Beer and Wine bottles "different" to say the least! A pity it gets so busy as some of these towns are really spoilt when too many people are there at once!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
      Aug 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Yes - we spent a week in Taormina and loved it. But that was a long while ago and maybe not at the height of the season. Sounds as if it was much more crowded when you visited

• balhannah's Profile Photo
      Aug 9, 2013 at 1:42 AM

From what I remember, there were 4 cruise ships in port, so you can imagine how many people would head there as there really isn't that much else you can do.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Hello, Sarah! I've only counted steps once - in Odessa at Potyomkin Staircars... Thanks for your page! ><><><

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 1:41 PM

This was a very interesting description of the town and its sites. The pictures are fantastic. We love Italy and parlano Italiano un po.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2009 at 3:03 PM

A walk down memory lane for me. Your descriptions are right on target and your photos are enchanting.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I'm surprised no one has opened a refreshment stop on the way up those stairs! I'm quite sure we would have climbed them too, just to work off a little of the gelato I had been eating :-)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Glad to hear you took the steps despite the mid-afternoon start. I'm sure the spumente limone tested all the better for it! Love that beer bottle collection. :)

• Aug 17, 2009 at 4:20 AM

Intersting Statue in the Largo Taragio. Also i like and the statue of San Pietro

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Any wineries for tasting?

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM

A bottle of Bob Marley's best please!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Spumante limone sounds very delicious :-)) The village doesn't look that bad but I would be shocked seeing these strange bottles in the shop. Love the little church and Pietro's statue :-)

toonsarah

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust”

Badges & Stats in Corniglia

Have you been to Corniglia?